Nested VT-x/AMD-V not working

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sand7000

Nested VT-x/AMD-V not working

Post by sand7000 »

I installed 6.0 via the script:

VirtualBox-6.0.0-127566-Linux_amd64.run

today to take advantage of the new nested virtualization option, I saw no errors during the install. I have the new version of the extensions installed as well and I rebooted after installation. The option "Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-V" is greyed out in the graphical interface. I was able to turn it on by running:

VBoxManage modifyvm ubuntu-xen --nested-hw-virt on

but it doesn't seem to do anything. I expected to see vmx or svm in /proc/cpuinfo on the guest but I do not. I am still unable to start an Xen HVM guest inside the ubuntu guest (PV worked on 5.x and still works now). Am I missing a dependency or something?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Nested VT-x/AMD-V not working

Post by andyp73 »

You haven't given much to go on to help diagnose this issue. Firstly, to quote section 10.35 of the user manual:
Oracle VM VirtualBox supports nested virtualization on host systems that run AMD CPUs.
If you don't have an AMD CPU don't expect it to work! If you do have an AMD CPU then you probably need to make sure it it the right type. To say much more we will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question (zipped of course).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
sand7000

Post by sand7000 »

Hmmm, I did miss that. 'Enable Nested VT-x/AMD-V' a pretty misleading name for the feature since VT-x is only on Intel processors.

I will try on another machine tonight and see if I have better luck.

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@sand7000
There is a specific thread that I've created just for this purpose: Nested virtualization: Success stories (and failures). Please consider posting there, but ONLY if you try this on an AMD CPU. As it's noted in the thread, all Intel CPU posts will be deleted/split.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.