3D Acceleration on Debian with HD5500 (i965) Graphics Unsupported

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dnmm

3D Acceleration on Debian with HD5500 (i965) Graphics Unsupported

Post by dnmm »

Hi,

I tried that a long time ago and it didn't work, but was not much of a problem. Now I got the need for 3D Acceleration, though, and it still doesn't work for me. I seek help :D

Here's some System Info:

Code: Select all

:~$ cat /etc/debian_version 
buster/sid
:~$ uname -a
Linux shadow 4.16.0-rc5-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16~rc5-1~exp1 (2018-03-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux

:~$ dpkg -l i965* | grep ii
ii  i965-va-driver:amd64   2.2.0+dfsg1-2 amd64        VAAPI driver for Intel G45 & HD Graphics family

:~$ dpkg -l virtualbox* | grep ii
ii  virtualbox                     5.2.22-dfsg-2              amd64        x86 virtualization solution - base binaries
ii  virtualbox-dkms                5.2.22-dfsg-2              all          x86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
ii  virtualbox-ext-pack            5.2.22-1                   all          extra capabilities for VirtualBox, downloader.
ii  virtualbox-qt                  5.2.22-dfsg-2              amd64        x86 virtualization solution - Qt based user interface
And I have the virtualbox logfile and glxinfo attached.

Anything I can do?
Attachments
glxinfo.txt
(34.15 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
dev-2018-12-17-03-37-41.log.zip
(31.06 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 3D Acceleration on Debian with HD5500 (i965) Graphics Unsupported

Post by socratis »

dnmm wrote:Now I got the need for 3D Acceleration, though, and it still doesn't work for me.
What exactly "doesn't work" for you? You got to remember that your virtual machine uses after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. The virtual GPU itself is from around 1995-2000 in terms of capabilities. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.
00:00:01.230055 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
You might want to enable that. Not that it's going to help you with the 3D acceleration, but it's going to improve the performance of your VM.
VirtualBox VM 5.2.22_Debian r126257 linux.amd64 (Nov  9 2018 14:58:47) release log
And this is a show stopper. You're using the Debian fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums/channels for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

You can even add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dnmm

Post by dnmm »

socratis wrote:What exactly "doesn't work" for you? You got to remember that your virtual machine uses after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. The virtual GPU itself is from around 1995-2000 in terms of capabilities. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.
I know, I don't expect performance. For now, what doesn't work is a window on start telling me: "Unsupported Graphics Card: There is a problem with your graphics card. Please ensure your card meets the minimum system requirements and that you have the latest drivers installed". If things don't work out after virtualbox is okay, then I have to look for other options (dualboot or somesuch *sigh*).
socratis wrote:
00:00:01.230055 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
You might want to enable that. Not that it's going to help you with the 3D acceleration, but it's going to improve the performance of your VM.
Thanks, will do. :)
socratis wrote:
VirtualBox VM 5.2.22_Debian r126257 linux.amd64 (Nov  9 2018 14:58:47) release log
And this is a show stopper. You're using the Debian fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums/channels for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

You can even add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools.
Oops.. ;) yeah, I understand that. Will swap the version. Sorry for that.
Hold on tight while I get my system sorted.

Cheers,
dnmm

Post by dnmm »

I changed to the official version - same behavior, though. But at least we can start digging now.. :D
Attachments
dev-2018-12-17-05-00-58.log.zip
(32.13 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dnmm wrote:But at least we can start digging now..
I don't think there's anything to dig. If your app has specific requirements, you're out of luck. I'm going to quote myself, something that I don't do often, but you may have missed it:
socratis wrote:You got to remember that your virtual machine uses after all a virtual graphics card, not your host's real graphics card. The virtual GPU itself is from around 1995-2000 in terms of capabilities. Applications that have high requirements on the GPU (drawing, 3D, games, video) are expected to not work as good as on the real hardware, if they work at all.
What's the application that you're trying to make it work?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dnmm

Post by dnmm »

I want to have the "Oracle VM Virtualbox Guest Additions" work. At the moment I get the message "Unsupported Graphics Card: There is a problem with your graphics card. Please ensure your card meets the minimum system requirements and that you have the latest drivers installed" when the Guest boots up.

Does my Host GPU not meet the requirements?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

dnmm wrote:At the moment I get the message "Unsupported Graphics Card: ...
I'm sorry, but you are not getting that message when Win10 starts up, that's not a Windows message AFAIK. Most probably you are getting this message when you're trying to run your application (still haven't told me what that is). Your GAs are installed and working fine:
00:00:05.939495 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.22 r126460 '5.2.22'
00:00:05.939560 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Interface = 0x00010004
                osType = 0x0003B100 (Windows 10, 64-bit)
dnmm

Post by dnmm »

I see.. I thought it's the guest additions, because - I get the message with 3D acceleration on, if off, it doesn't show. That's solved then.. :D

I was trying to open up the Unreal Engine. I guess I will do dual boot for that - too bad, all other development I can do in the VM.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the trouble.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No problem, and no trouble at all... ;)
The Unreal engine will *most definitely* have problems. It even has problems with real, actual GPUs, imagine the virtual ones...
dnmm

Post by dnmm »

Turns out the "problem" was caused by the "Epic Launcher" run on startup (didn't realize that it was set up like that).
It's funny, though, that the "3D accel" disabled shows way more DX compatibility (on dxdiag) than 3D accel enabled..

Yeah, like I said I didn't expect performance - don't need graphics performance. Just needed to get it running to create a project and get classes sorted. *sigh* :P
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

dnmm wrote: It's funny, though, that the "3D accel" disabled shows way more DX compatibility (on dxdiag) than 3D accel enabled..
Why is that a surprise?

If you don't have 3D acceleration then your guest OS or app will fall back on software rendering. The capabilities reported by the software renderer can be whatever it likes, it is not constrained by the hardware. Of course performance will be poor and use a lot of CPU.