Stops reading the bootable ISO image and black screen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
vboxuseer

Stops reading the bootable ISO image and black screen

Post by vboxuseer »

Do I really need vt-x enabled in bios on my host to install and run 32 bit debian as guest? I remember a few months ago when you could use 32 bit without having vt-x enabled.
This is a general question because I have received different answers and I do not want to use vt-x if I do not have to.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Stops reading the bootable ISO image and black screen

Post by socratis »

vboxuseer wrote:This is a general question
You can't know "in general". Not with a generic statement like that. You want a canned answer for 32-bit Debian/Kali based systems that I have for cases like that?
Unfortunately, your <InsertCPU> does not support VT-x. So, you can't run this VM as is. Your best bet would be to try something from the 4.3.x series, the 5.0.x series or the 5.1.x series. All of them are unsupported and have known security vulnerabilities.

The higher the VirtualBox version, the more dependent it is on the existence of VT-x, as the "raw mode" will be getting phased out over time.
But this is for people that can not run the new systems due to inadequate CPUs, not for someone that doesn't want to turn on VT-x on purpose! If you're so afraid about security, there's only one option; disconnect from the Internet.

And if you want to run a guest like that, I know that DOS doesn't require VT-x for example.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vboxuseer

Post by vboxuseer »

Have there been any changes to virtualbox or debian in latest releases that do not allow some computers to run 32 bit debian nowdays?
Because I could install and run debian on virtualbox with the same computer just a few months ago.

If so, why does not virtualbox have a secure release that let you install and run 32 bit guest us without vt-x?
Last edited by socratis on 6. Dec 2018, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

vboxuseer wrote:Have there been any changes to virtualbox or debian
Yes to VirtualBox, and yes to Debian.
vboxuseer wrote:Because I could install and run debian on virtualbox with the same computer just a few months ago.
And if you return to that configuration (those older versions), you're going to be able to do it. Not with the current state of affairs. Things move forward. At some point you had to buy and install a math-coprocessor (8087). Programs were not making assumptions that a math coprocessor was available. Later on, every chip was coming in the market with a math coprocessor. Programs assumed that a math coprocessor was available. That's how it goes with VT-x as well.
vboxuseer wrote:If so, why does not virtualbox have a secure release that let you install and run 32 bit guest us without vt-x?
I'm sorry, but that sentence does not make sense as I read it. What do you mean a "secure release of VirtualBox"? Can't understand that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
vboxuseer

Post by vboxuseer »

vboxuseer wrote:I'm sorry, but that sentence does not make sense as I read it. What do you mean a "secure release of VirtualBox"? Can't understand that...
You wrote that my best bet would be to try something from the 4.3.x series, the 5.0.x series or the 5.1.x series. All of them are unsupported and have known security vulnerabilities.
Why is there no release without vulnerabilities for those who can not use or want to use vt-x?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

vboxuseer wrote:Why is there no release without vulnerabilities for those who can not use or want to use vt-x?
Because the world is moving forward? You can't be stuck in the past. No one these days (actually in the last decade or so) uses a computer that has no VT-x.

And if people realize (from the VBox.log) that they don't have VT-x turned on (because the manufacturer left it off for some reason), they "correct" the omission and enable VT-x. Done.
vboxuseer

Post by vboxuseer »

When I try to run 64 bit debian guest then I get this error message saying:
Virtualbox - Error
VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)
Im not getting the same error message by run 32 bit debian guest us. I see the menu as usual.
Then it stops reading the bootable ISO image and black screen after I press enter.

How are I able to run the .iso file and come to the install menu?
Last edited by socratis on 8. Dec 2018, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

It seems that VT-x is either unavailable, or disabled. We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
vboxuseer

Post by vboxuseer »

My question was why I do not get the same popup message if Im running debian 32 bit?
If it were that you could not drive 32 bit guest os without vt-x as you said. Then it would be more clear for users if you received the same error message at startup.
Last edited by socratis on 8. Dec 2018, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Virtualization requires VT-x. That's what VT-x stands for: Intel Virtualization Technology. So, you may not be needing VT-x to run a 32-bit OS natively, but these days you are required to have a host that has VT-x in order to virtualize even a 32-bit OS. The guest OS will not have VT-x, so yes, a 32-bit OS can, and will run without VT-x. Not a host that wants to virtualize a guest.