[Solved]Linux guest: No network connectivity.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Shai

[Solved]Linux guest: No network connectivity.

Post by Shai »

My host machine is Windows XP. My guest is Debian Etch. I had this up and running fine. I did not have any problems. This morning I try to install some apps and none of the repositories can be found. I tried to ping to the outside world. No joy. ifconfig does not report any configured adapters except for localhost. lsmod reports the pcnet32 drivers are installed. dmesg reports eth0 is registered as as PCnet/FAST III. lspci reports the Ethernet controller as AMD PCnet32 LANCE. However, when running ifconfig eth0 it reported "eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found".

I'm not a great troubleshooter with linux and being that it is virtual just makes it that much more of a mystery to me. I'm not sure if this is a Vbox or Debian problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Please provide some more information. See the Forum Posting Guide for help. Guest Settings is key. Google is also a good idea to use.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
Shai

Post by Shai »

Problem solved.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

And how did you solve it? It's always a good idea to post your solution to help others that have the same issue.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
regularfry

Post by regularfry »

I've just had exactly this problem; it took me a good couple of hours to track down. The key is that Debian records the MAC address of the network adapter in its udev rules, so you can't change it externally without also changing it internally. This also means that if you copy the vdi to another host (like I did), you need to duplicate the MAC address setting in VirtualBox as well.

There's a closed virtualbox bug at http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/660 with more details.