VM 8 CPU maximum on 32 core CPU

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Vinchenzo

VM 8 CPU maximum on 32 core CPU

Post by Vinchenzo »

Running Mint 19 (kernel 4.19.2) host, Virtual Box 5.2.22, AMD 2990WX (32 core).
My VMs are limited to 8 CPUs (Win7, Ubuntu & Manjaro).
I have seen screen shots of selecting up to 16 CPUs and talk of even more.
Is there a setting I am missing in Mint or Virtual box?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VM 8 CPU maximum on 32 core CPU

Post by mpack »

Duplicate of existing discussion: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87445
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You pm'd me to say that the two discussions are not the same, and asked me to unlock the topic. For the life of me it seems to me that they are the same: VirtualBox has an 8 vCPU limit per VM, at least with certain chipsets - whether or not specific versions express that limit in the GUI. The reason for the limit can't be answered by other users, and this is a user discussion site.
Vinchenzo

Post by Vinchenzo »

This is the first indication I have had the Virtual Box has limitations with certain single chip processors. I did read about limitations on multiple chip processors and the limitations and quirks.

Is there a list of single chip processors that have limitations as to the number of cores that are recognized by Virtual Box?

My 2990 WX runs flawlessly Linux Mint host, and VMs (Win7, Ubuntu, Manjaro). I have run up to 30 cores (3 Win 7 with 8 each and 1 ubuntu with 6) simultaneously with no anomalies.

My only question relates to the Virtual Box "setup>system>Processor>CPU" where you select the number of of CPUs. I would expect to see 32 CPUs (number of cores for a 2990wx) but ALL I SEE Is 8 (16 with threads).

If the fact is "the 2990wx processor is restricted to 8 CPUs for all current versions of Virtual Box", that answers my original question.