Unity mode not displaying properly

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Shmu26

Unity mode not displaying properly

Post by Shmu26 »

Unity mode is not working right. I installed guest additions, and it is running, as seen in screenshot.
The guest is partially hidden, and partially covers the Ubuntu screen.
Please see screenshot in link
[ModEdit: 404 not found URL removed]
Host: Ubuntu 18.10
Guest: Windows 10 1809
VB version: 5.2.18
Last edited by Shmu26 on 28. Nov 2018, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unity mode not displaying properly

Post by socratis »

Please attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites.

Also, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

The screenshot was too heavy, it was rejected by the site.
But actually, I think the problem is properly installing the guest additions, because I discovered that the virtual CD drive is still showing it, even though I installed it and rebooted and installed it again.
In Devices, I still see "insert guest additions..."
And shared folder is also not working.
So, how do I fix guest additions??
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Shmu26 wrote:The screenshot was too heavy, it was rejected by the site.
Yes because you do not post your whole desktop, you crop it to the area of interest. Also, if you're using a HiDPI setup, you shrink the image by at least 50%.
Shmu26 wrote:I discovered that the virtual CD drive is still showing it, even though I installed it and rebooted and installed it again.
If you don't actually eject a CD from your computer, do you expect it to "just disappear"? ;)
Shmu26 wrote:In Devices, I still see "insert guest additions..."
You'll always see that. Even in guests where there are no Guest Additions available.

Still waiting for the log, that would tell us whether you've installed them or not.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

Thank you for your help and your input.
Today is a new day, and I decided I would reproduce the issue and make a proper log (and screenshot), but the problem inexplicably disappeared. :)
I will get back to you if necessary.
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

Okay, issue came back. Log attached.
Attachments
Windows 10-2018-11-29-07-54-42.zip
(25.01 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

Screenshot
Attachments
shrink.png
shrink.png (57.36 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.18_Ubuntu r123745 linux.amd64 (Aug 17 2018 15:02:22) release log
It looks like you're using the Ubuntu fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

Thanks. If I uninstall, will it delete my existing VMs?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VMs are data, so no, they're going to be unharmed.
It's like replacing OpenOffice with LibreOffice and asking if your spreadsheets are going to be deleted. ;)
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

So I did remove and purge, I rebooted, and I installed the official version.
virtualbox-5.2_5.2.22-126460_Ubuntu_bionic_amd64.deb
But the behavior is the same. I know that Unity mode is very hard to achieve, other products don't even try. But if there is a fix, you can let me know. :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I didn't say there's a fix, I'm not even trying it on my VMs, I want to keep them as clearly separated as possible. I could only point known mistakes in your configuration. So, if you want, upload a new log to take a look at.
Shmu26

Post by Shmu26 »

Here is a new log
Attachments
Windows10-2018-12-19-21-53-35.zip
(37.72 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There's nothing wrong with your setup, except maybe this:
00:00:00.886083 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:01.038593 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
00:00:01.038878 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz"
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). See the details for you i5-6500 CPU.

And this:
00:00:00.881121 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   Intel Open Source Technology Center
00:00:00.881137 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2) 
00:00:00.881140 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  3.0 Mesa 18.2.2
Intel's GPUs are not the most powerful in the world and the drivers are not the best showcase of software. We've had several issues in the past as far as graphics glitches in VirtualBox goes...