Non-Compatible Peripheral on Native Linux through Windows 10 VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
gametheorist93

Non-Compatible Peripheral on Native Linux through Windows 10 VM

Post by gametheorist93 »

My question is in regards to have VirtualBox interprets usb inputs that are natively not compatible on Linux distributions. I’m looking to buy a new mouse and keyboard and I’m currently single booting a Ubuntu distribution and I actively use Windows 10 through VirtualBox. Most keyboards and mice drivers are incompatible with Linux. However, if I operate through the VM will I gain compatibility with originally non-compatible input devices? Is the input device interpreted through the host or through the VM?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Non-Compatible Peripheral on Native Linux through Windows 10 VM

Post by andyp73 »

gametheorist93 wrote:Is the input device interpreted through the host or through the VM?
The keyboard and mouse are devices attached to the host system and the appropriate keystrokes and mouse clicks are passed through to the guest (which is in effect just an application running on the host) as required.

I don't want to get into Linux support issues (this isn't the place) but I haven't plugged a USB keyboard or mouse into a Linux system and it not work for more years than I care to count! Do you have specific devices that haven't?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
gametheorist93

Post by gametheorist93 »

I have never had issues with Logitech products, but yet again, those are the only ones I have ever used. I guess my questions is more in regards to "user programmable" functionality and software to some of the mice and keyboards out on the market. For example, gaming peripherals e.g. (Razer, Logitech Gaming, Corsair, etc,.) have user device software that allows the user to change certain aspects of the functionality of the device. That being said, I was just curious if I am stuck with only basic functionality when it comes to these kind of peripherals (because Linux only creates a "basic driver" for the device) or if there was some way around it when using Windows 10 through VirtualBox?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

gametheorist93 wrote:I was just curious if I am stuck with only basic functionality when it comes to these kind of peripherals
Yes. Not even the media keys work, just a plain old keyboard. Same for the mouse.

Unless you pass them through to the VM using USB passthrough, but then you won't have any mouse/keyboard on the host. Which means you need a second pair. One for the host, one for the guest.

And judging by your nickname and the devices you're looking for, you're not thinking about a "gaming VM", are you? Because you might not like it. A VM is never a good gaming system. Never...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gametheorist93

Post by gametheorist93 »

Haha. Actually my nickname is relative to academic game theory not "video games". Anywho, I think what I am going to end up doing is just wipe the drive of Ubuntu and install Windows on the blank hard disk and then side install Ubuntu for dual boot purposes. I know it is possible to install windows along side Ubuntu, but it is far too technical given my current knowledge of computers.