No Internet on Windows XP on Ubuntu 16.04

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
readyready15728

No Internet on Windows XP on Ubuntu 16.04

Post by readyready15728 »

I was under the impression that default settings are appropriate but that is apparently not so. I have it set to NAT and using PCnet-FAST III which has been recommended elsewhere and no dice. What else can I do?

EDIT: Oh and FWIW it's Win XP Pro SP3
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: No Internet on Windows XP on Ubuntu 16.04

Post by andyp73 »

You will need to explain in more detail what "No Internet on Windows XP" means. I installed a new Windows XP SP3 VM on a macOS host last week, installed the Intel drivers for the E1000 network adapter and managed the following things on the internet:

1. Activated Windows so no nag screen.
2. Downloaded Firefox 52.9.0
3. Proved that Firefox 52.9.0 can't cope with the security certificate in an embedded device I am working on.

Start by running and posting the output of the following commands from within the guest:
ipconfig /all
ping <DefaultGateway>      <-- tests your connectivity
ping <DNSserver>           <-- tests your connectivity
ping 1.1.1.1                      <-- tests outgoing connectivity
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

readyready15728 wrote:What else can I do?
Install a browser that doesn't date from 2003. I'm afraid that the choices are rapidly dwindling. My own XP VMs used the "Pale Moon" browser v26.2.1 (that may not be the last XP compatible build).

There should be no need to change NICs or install new NIC drivers - PCNet Fast III is selected by the template because XP already has native support for it.
readyready15728

Post by readyready15728 »

Found the issue. Apparently I had disabled "Cable Connected" somehow. This issue is resolved and hopefully will be useful to someone else.