No connection on bridge networking

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
naamah75

No connection on bridge networking

Post by naamah75 »

I've readed a lot of posts on this argument, and I've saw that bridged network must work as is (so simply) without particular configurations... but it doesn't work for me.
I'm running VirtualBox Versione 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS.
My guest is a domotic application called "HASSos" based on "buildroot" with kernel 4.14 (LT).

Using a NAT my guest works very well, and (with some port forwardings) I'm able to connect with the guest server (WEB, FTP and SSH), but in bridging mode the guest wouldn't respond!

The IP of my NIC visible from my host is the same of that that I get under my guest? I cannot see the IP of the guest beacuse the OS on the guest don't have any available classic linux command, I'm wrapped in a custom shell.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: No connection on bridge networking

Post by andyp73 »

naamah75 wrote:but in bridging mode the guest wouldn't respond
What are you bridging to - a wired Ethernet connection or a wireless adapter? If it is the latter then it doesn't always work. There are many posts on the subject on the forum if you want to be able to read the detail.
naamah75 wrote:I cannot see the IP of the guest beacuse the OS on the guest don't have any available classic linux command, I'm wrapped in a custom shell.
In bridged mode, the guest will appear as any other machine connected to the network. If it is set to use DHCP then it will try to obtain an IP address from any DHCP servers on the network that respond. Are you able to check in the DHCP server / router / etc. logs for the guest (probably by MAC address or name) to determine if it has been given an IP address?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
naamah75

Post by naamah75 »

Many thanks @andyp73 for you reply.
In this case the problem, most probably, would be the wirelss adapter (I'm waiting for a NIC from Am..on), so I will try later.
naamah75

Post by naamah75 »

Installed the new NIC, but the problem is still here.
In my guest was able to see my IP that's

Code: Select all

inet addr:172.30.33.0  Bcast:172.30.33.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
In the host, howhever, the NIC bridged has it's IP assigned by DHCP and it's 192.168.1.54

So... why the host and the guest doesn't have the same IP?
And in effect I cannot reach the guest machine from the network.

Coming back to NAT networking the IP of the guest it's the same of before

Code: Select all

inet addr:172.30.33.0  Bcast:172.30.33.255  Mask:255.255.254.0
but now I've no problem accessing the guest from the network.

Please some help?