Lack of Visibility betwen Host and Quest: Ununtu Host and FreeDos on VB

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
SailorEd

Lack of Visibility betwen Host and Quest: Ununtu Host and FreeDos on VB

Post by SailorEd »

Can not get visibility between Host and Guest. Have read manual and many dozens if not 00's of posts. Would really appreciate the advise. i have attached log files for your reference.
Host is Pentium 4 old IBM Thinkpad with Ubuntu 18.04.1 just loaded a few weeks ago.
VirtualBox 5.2.10 ubuntu r121806 with Extension pack and Guest Additions.
FreeDos loaded as Guest OS.

I can see FreeDos files in VB and access all FreeDos files using DOS drives in a DOS window. I can NOT figure out how to see Host files from DOS or from VirtualBox manager. Similarly I am unable to see Guest files from ubuntu Host terminal or GUI interface.

I can not locate vboxsvr on host. The other three driver related files referenced in the VB manual are installed.

I have been unable to uninstall VirtualBox as I am not sure what download was used for install. All I have tried to uninstall with have failed.

My objective in all of this is to transfer from floppy and run old DOS-basic file in Virtual Box. I will have to transfer basic.exe into FreeDos or possibly create new Guest with different version of DOS (6.2.2).

Will uninstall and start over if I have to. Thanks again. Really hate to admit defeat on this.
Thanks and best regards,
Ed
Attachments
VBLogs.zip
SailorEd VirtualBox Host Ubuntu Guest FreeDos
(35.71 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Lack of Visibility betwen Host and Quest: Ununtu Host and FreeDos on VB

Post by andyp73 »

SailorEd wrote:VirtualBox 5.2.10 ubuntu r121806
This looks to be the Ubuntu tribute act version of VirtualBox. If you have issues with it then you should either go to the Ubuntu forums or purge that version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads page.
SailorEd wrote:with Extension pack and Guest Additions
There are no guest additions for FreeDOS so don't expect anything that expects to make use of their functionality to work.

That all being said...

There are two threads that I recommend you read: Discuss: Set up (Free)DOS with networking and shared folders and Install MSDOS 6.22 - A Working Method.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

SailorEd wrote:Can not get visibility between Host and Guest.
I'm not quite sure what you're expecting there. The basic idea of a VM is to have a second PC using the same hardware. The second PC is logically separate just like having two PCs side by side. There is no automatic mutual "visibility" between them.

That said, you have all the normal options available to you for making one PC visible to another, i.e. networking, shared folders etc. As Andy says, you can ignore the simple shared folders feature provided by the Guest Additions because there are none for DOS. The user manual lists those operating systems which are supported by GAs, and basically the list is Windows NT family and Linux family. No GAs for DOS (including Win9x), Android, or OS X.
SailorEd

Post by SailorEd »

Thank you for the advise. I will deleted everything and start over.
Regards,
Ed