[Solved] Linux Mint, Try File|Preferences, Vbox Manager crashes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Electron1948

[Solved] Linux Mint, Try File|Preferences, Vbox Manager crashes

Post by Electron1948 »

I'm new to Virtualbox so maybe I've done something wrong. This is what I did:

A fresh clean install of Mint18.3.
A fresh clean install of Virtualbox 5.1.38 from the Linux repositories, using defaults where possible, selected fixed hard drive size.
A fresh install of Win 7 Home (because it was handy and would do what I needed.) This VM boots and runs basicallyOK.

Then tried to install the Extensions and this is where Vbox crashes: Clicked on 'File' then 'Preferences, at this point a dialog opens and immediately closes (to fast to read) then Vbox Manager closes as well. The Win7 Guest continues to run and remains usable.

Also tried 'File' | 'Preferences' with the VM powered off and and got the same result.

I have deleted the VM, uninstalled Vbox then reinstalled and created a new Win7 VM, results are exactly the same :-(

Attached are two logs, Log1 from when the Guest was running, Log2 from when the Guest had been powered off.

Does anyone know what is wrong? I'd be very grateful for some guidance!
Attachments
VboxLogs.zip
Logs of two Vbox crashes
(36.02 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Linux Mint, Try File|Preferences, Vbox Manager crashes

Post by mpack »

The logs show you are not running VirtualBox, you are running the Ubuntu fork. You need to either go to the Ubuntu forums for support, or purge the fork and install the official version from the downloads area of this site.
Electron1948

Re: Linux Mint, Try File|Preferences, Vbox Manager crashes

Post by Electron1948 »

Thank you mpack.
Before I found yor response I had tried a fresh install on a clean Ubuntu install. Ubuntu doesn't list VB in it's repositories so I was forced to download the latest (5.2.22) from the Oracle website. This (of course!) worked perfectly so I went back to my original Mint machine and installed the same version on that - now working perfectly :-D
The moral of the story is: always install the latst stable version from the author's website.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Solved] Linux Mint, Try File|Preferences, Vbox Manager crashes

Post by mpack »

Thanks for reporting back.