Does VirtualBox Prohibit Viewing of Windows 10 Pro File Tree Structure

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Dekade

Does VirtualBox Prohibit Viewing of Windows 10 Pro File Tree Structure

Post by Dekade »

I am using VirtualBox to run OpenMediaVault on a Windows 10 Pro machine. I have it set up using Linux Debian. Below are the steps I go through that creates an issue of difficulty.

1. I open File Explorer on any of 4 network computers. On the 4th computer (name = P5ND) I have OpenMediaVault running virtually inside of VirtualBox
2. In File Explorer (from any network PC) I try to expand the file tree on the P5ND computer because I want to access a folder and file located in one of the non virtual HDD drives on the P5ND machine
3. At that point I receive an error message stating Windows Cannot Access \\ P5ND
4. ALL PC's on the network have the same issue
5. All Network and Sharing settings are identical on all PC's
6. I never had the problem with accessing P5ND file trees before setting up the virtual machine to run OpenMediaVault
7. Thus, I am wondering: is VirtualBox and/or OpenMediaVault preventing Windows netwrok access to file trees?
8. I am running VirtualBox 5.2.1

Thanks for helping,
Dekade
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Does VirtualBox Prohibit Viewing of Windows 10 Pro File Tree Structure

Post by andyp73 »

How have you got the networking configured in the guest machine? NAT?? Bridged??
Dekade wrote:I am running VirtualBox 5.2.1
Oracle don't formally release odd numbered versions. The current version is 5.2.22 (as of writing). Have you tried upgrading?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Dekade

Post by Dekade »

andyp73

Thanks for replying. My apologies on the version. After a quick update I am now running version 5.2.22. Previous version was 5.2.20.

I do not know how to answer your other question because I don't know where to look for NAT or Bridged. Do you mind advising me?
Dekade

Post by Dekade »

I think I have the information being requested. The attached screen shot shows a bridged connection
Attachments
VB_01.png
VB_01.png (55.53 KiB) Viewed 1433 times