Windows 10 WM on Ubuntu 18.04 server

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
widert

Windows 10 WM on Ubuntu 18.04 server

Post by widert »

Hello, I need a bit help on how to setup a Windows 10 WM on an Ubuntu 18.04 server.

My setup:
I have a Mac that I normally use for "day-2-day" work but need access to some programs that are Windows10 only.

My plan is hence to set up a Windows10 WM on the Ubuntu server and access it through Microsoft Remote Desktop on my Mac.

The instructions I have been following are these:

Code: Select all

VM='Windows10'
VBoxManage createvm --name "$VM" --ostype Windows10_64 --register
VBoxManage modifyvm "$VM" --memory 4096
VBoxManage createhd --filename "$VM.vdi" --size 40960
VBoxManage storagectl "$VM" --name "SATA Controller" --add sata --controller IntelAHCI
VBoxManage storageattach "$VM" --storagectl "SATA Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type hdd --medium "$VM.vdi"
VBoxManage storagectl "$VM" --name "IDE Controller" --add ide
VBoxManage storageattach "$VM" --storagectl "IDE Controller" --port 0 --device 0 --type dvddrive --medium /path/to/windows_installer.iso
VBoxManage modifyvm "$VM" --vrde on
VBoxManage modifyvm "$VM" --vrdeport 5555
VBoxManage modifyvm "$VM" --nic1 bridged --bridgeadapter1 enp0s31f6
But how do I go from here to access the installation window on my Mac?
When running

VBoxManage startvm "$VM"
I get

Waiting for VM "Windows10" to power on...
VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'Windows10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
Any suggestions?
DavidBowmann

Re: Windows 10 WM on Ubuntu 18.04 server

Post by DavidBowmann »

I do the exact same. Ich have a server (i7 6700) with 32GB and have there several VMs to do Software-Test and Work.
I use https://github.com/phpvirtualbox/phpvirtualbox to manage the Vms. It is very similar to the local VirtualBox-GUI.
This way the installation and startup/shutdown and also import/export of VMs is very easy.
You acces phpvirtualbox through the webGUI. And the VMs through RDP.
The only problem I have/had is 3rd Level Keys on german keybaord (with AltGr). through TeamViewer access to my desktop and from there
to use RDP to the VMs. But most people won't do this so it is not a problem.