VERR_UNRESOLVED_VED_ERROR message

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
shirah

VERR_UNRESOLVED_VED_ERROR message

Post by shirah »

Virtual box version: 5.2.20 Host OS is Linux Debian 7; guest OS is Windows 10 Enterprise 1803
Installed guest addition 5.2.20

I'm trying to start an app remotely using vboxmanage guestcontrol and see this error code -- VERR_UNRESOLVED_VED_ERROR
I can't find any relevant results from Google or VirtualBox web site to help me figure out what the issue is. I can start this app in a guest Windows 7 VM without issue, but the same command doesn't work for Windows 10. I've change the user name & password.

Code: Select all

vboxmanage guestcontrol WinVM --username name --password psswd -v run --exe C:/Users/name/Downloads/appName.exe -- app-name --mode unattended
I can run this app with the command line option from a cmd prompt window in the VM from C:\Users\name
I copied the file to the Windows VM using vboxmanage guest control copyto, so I can write to the folder.
The permissions for Users and name are full control for this executable file, and the Windows firewalls and permissions are wide open.

I'm attaching the VBox.log file.

In addition to the log file, I see the following lines at the command prompt:

Creating guest session as user 'name' ...
Waiting for guest session to start...
Successfully started guest session (ID 1)
Starting guest process ...
VBoxManage: error: VERR_UNRESOLVED_VED_ERROR
VBoxManage: error: Detail: code VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR(0x80bb0005), component GuestProcessWrap, interface IGuestProcess, callee nISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context:"WaitForArray(ComSafeArrayAsInParam(aWaitStartFlags), gctlRunGetRemainingTime(msStart, cMsTimeout), &waitResult)" at line 1522 of file VBoxManageGuestCtrl.cpp
Closing guest session ...
Attachments
VBoxLog.zip
VBox.log zipped file
(16.61 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by socratis on 29. Oct 2018, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][code] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VERR_UNRESOLVED_VED_ERROR message

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.0.20 r106931 linux.amd64 (Apr 28 2016 16:07:13) release log
That's a 2 1/2 year old version of VirtualBox you're running there. You should definitely upgrade to the latest and greatest (5.2.20 as of this writing) from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

Secondly, and most importantly, you need to "brush up" on your 'guestcontrol' skills. Start by reading closely ch. 8.34 VBoxManage guestcontrol. For example, one thing that immediately caught my attention, was your:
shirah wrote:
--exe C:/Users/name/Downloads/appName.exe
which definitely won't work as is. According to the manual:
VBoxManage --nologo guestcontrol "My VM" run --exe "c:\\windows\\system32\\ipconfig.exe" --username foo --passwordfile bar.txt --wait-exit --wait-stdout
Note that the double backslashes in the second example are only required on Unix hosts.
You are after all on a Unix host... ;)

I'd start by following the examples in the manual, and then move to more advanced uses...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
shirah

Post by shirah »

Thanks for your reply. If you read my initial post again, you'll see that I'm using version 5.2.20.

I've also used variations of quotes and back slashes in the command line to no avail. I have read the manual on guest control and have used the format as listed when running the command with a Windows 7 VM -- with success. "C:\\Users\\name\\Downloads\\appName.exe" produces the same result.

In order to solve this issues, I've been working on various quotes and slashes for 2+ days. I can send you the output of my command history if it would help to see what I've tried for days.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

shirah wrote:Thanks for your reply. If you read my initial post again, you'll see that I'm using version 5.2.20.
No, I read your logs. That's the evidence you gave me. When I'm asking for a log, I don't want to see a random log, from a random run, with random settings. I want to see "The log" where/when the problem occurs.
shirah wrote:I've also used variations of quotes and back slashes in the command line to no avail
Have you tried the quadruple quote "////"? ;)

I'm only joking. There's no point in trying "variations". You need to be really specific about what you're doing, not trying things at random.
shirah wrote: "C:\\Users\\name\\Downloads\\appName.exe" produces the same result.
I believe that I told you to try the examples first. Try cmd. Try notepad. Try explorer. I don't know what "appName" is or what it expects.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I had a look for this error in the sources of VBoxManageGuestCtrl.cpp. Despite the factual error regarding the VirtualBox version, the error line number is only 6 lines out in 5.2.20, so I guess this module hasn't changed much.

/*
             * Explicitly wait for the guest process to be in a started state.
             */
            com::SafeArray<ProcessWaitForFlag_T> aWaitStartFlags;
            aWaitStartFlags.push_back(ProcessWaitForFlag_Start);
            ProcessWaitResult_T waitResult;
            CHECK_ERROR_BREAK(pProcess, WaitForArray(ComSafeArrayAsInParam(aWaitStartFlags),
                                                     gctlRunGetRemainingTime(msStart, cMsTimeout), &waitResult));
The last line looks like the error line, so I guess the error means that the guest process didn't start, the most obvious reason for which would be that the exe filename was incorrect, though my eye is also caught by that "-- app-name" sequence. Note the space. I normally wouldn't expect unquoted spaces inside one command line argument.
shirah

Post by shirah »

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll continue to debug.