installation of virtualbox add-ons

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Lampochka

installation of virtualbox add-ons

Post by Lampochka »

Hi, where can I find installation instructions for guest additions
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: installation of virtualbox add-ons

Post by mpack »

In the user manual, chapter 4.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

mpack wrote:In the user manual, chapter 4.
and I need to make the clipboard synchronize with the main operating system, what would you recommend to read?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Have you tried Help » Contents? It's searchable actually. On top of that, there's a nice PDF version of the User Manual in "/usr/share/doc/virtualbox-5.2", also searchable... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

I executed the command, rcvboxadd setup He was indignant that such a team does not exist. Tell me what I'm doing wrong?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.

I need that primarily to see the details about the host and the guest, so I'll know what would be the best course of action.

But, the idea is that you insert the GAs CD (menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD Image") and then in the guest you run "VBoxLinuxAdditions.run". Read the messages closely, see if anything failed and if there are instructions on what to do...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

Hello, I understood your words how to copy the logs of a turned off virtual machine without turning it on
Attachments
debian-2018-10-08-20-14-49.log
(95.39 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Oct 2018, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You missed the part about ZIPPING the log... ;)

I don't see the Guest Additions (GAs) being installed. You inserted the GAs CD, but there is no indication that you installed them in your Debian guest...
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

Hello, I ran the rcvboxadd setup command, but the virtual machine does not know this command.
Attachments
Screenshot_20181028_095514.png
Screenshot_20181028_095514.png (92.24 KiB) Viewed 3768 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

I would ignore that step for now. When you have inserted the Guest Additions into the virtual CD drive, if it doesn't get auto-mounted then you will need to do so manually.

Once the image is mounted then navigate to that directory and run:
sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

did I understand you correctly? I moved to the directory / media / cdrom and already there executed the command sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
Attachments
Screenshot_20181029_163715.png
Screenshot_20181029_163715.png (111.79 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
Last edited by socratis on 29. Oct 2018, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

If the file isn't there, then either the Guest Additions disk hasn't been mounted correctly in the Debian guest or you aren't looking in the right place. Can you post the output of running:
df -h
in the Debian guest?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.