Black Screen Problem Kali Linux on VM Virtualbox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ErtanMan

Black Screen Problem Kali Linux on VM Virtualbox

Post by ErtanMan »

Hello,

Today I have installed the newest VM Virtualbox and Kali Linux. I have integrated the Kali Linux iso file in it as well everything was in order. When I started the Virtual Machine it showed me the Kali installation screen, I entered it after seconds it was black screen.

I have looked for the solutions on the internet, I have tried most of them. Then I saw a solution about virtualization in BIOS Setup. When I opened my BIOS setup there was no category like Virtualization. SO it didnt really work either.

I am stuck, I would be happy if you help me with it.

BTW My pc is Dell Inspiron 1440
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Black Screen Problem Kali Linux on VM Virtualbox

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Salahuddin

Post by Salahuddin »

This seems to be a common issue for some reason or other, I have the same issue, if someone could help me.

I tried 4 versions of kali linux on virtualbox, same end result, here are the details:
CPU
Architecture:        x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:          Little Endian
CPU(s):              2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core:  1
Core(s) per socket:  2
Socket(s):           1
NUMA node(s):        1
Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
CPU family:          6
Model:               23
Model name:          Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz
Stepping:            6
CPU MHz:             2653.367
CPU max MHz:         2660.0000
CPU min MHz:         1596.0000
BogoMIPS:            5306.73
L1d cache:           32K
L1i cache:           32K
L2 cache:            3072K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):   0,1
Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl cpuid aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm pti dtherm
I do not have VT-x.

Host OS: Ubuntu 18.04 4.15.0-36-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 24 16:19:09 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806

After downloading Kali vbox (x86 and amd64), the vbox could not start without an error straight ahead, I followed some guides online to disable longmode, vtxux, vtxvpid, hwvirtex, and set the number of cpus to 1,
here are the log files for both machines: and

I tried the iso and a fresh install, it asked me to enable pae, so I did, then this:

Black screen, Guru Meditation error message in x86 cases, for amd64, just the black screen

(removed the files after the reply for security reasons, or just for the hell of it)
Last edited by Salahuddin on 10. Oct 2018, 22:56, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Salahuddin wrote:This seems to be a common issue for some reason or other
Not for some reason or other, in your case it's for a very, very specific reason:
Salahuddin wrote:I do not have VT-x.
As you rightly said, unfortunately your Core2 Duo E7300 does not support VT-x. So, you can't run this VM as is. Your best bet would be to try something from the 4.3.x series, the 5.0.x series or the 5.1.x series. All of them are unsupported.
00:00:42.417669 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2403 (VERR_TRPM_DONT_PANIC)
This is the "traditional" error you get when VT-x is not available. However, in a recent comment, the developers hinted that it should be fixed in a later release (see the comment by 'bird'). No word yet on the specifics or an ETA...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Salahuddin

Post by Salahuddin »

Thank you, I will either try the downgrade or just simply install the tools I need from Kali (seems easier now!)