Windows XP Guest Crashing (#18034)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
SloanUser

Windows XP Guest Crashing (#18034)

Post by SloanUser »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18034: Windows XP Guest Random Aborting
Hello,

I am running Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS with all the latest patches installed.

Linux xxxxxxx 4.15.0-34-generic #37-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 15 16:00:05 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I installed Virtualbox/Extension Pack/Guest Additions from virtualbox.org; version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5 9.5)

When running a Windows XP guest, the machine randomly aborts. I have attached the Virtualbox log file.

The aborting generally happens when running Lotus 123, which is a spreadsheet program. I have tried the standard ideas of turning off 3D/2D acceleration, but the crashes continue to happen.

Any/All help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
Windows XP-2018-10-05-19-16-21.zip
(16.92 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by socratis on 6. Oct 2018, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows XP Guest Crashing

Post by socratis »

Can you please stop posting both in the forums *and* opening a ticket at the same time? Don't you realize that you're fragmenting the responses, duplicating the effort and creating additional load for everyone? At a minimum, link them!

There's nothing obvious in the log, at least at a first glance. Is this reproducible? Do you have the scenario pinned down?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SloanUser

Re: Windows XP Guest Crashing (#18034)

Post by SloanUser »

Sure
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sure? Sure what? You have a reproducible scenario? Any more details so that we can reproduce it as well?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SloanUser

Post by SloanUser »

Sure...I will be sure to not post to both locations. In fact, with my original 3 posts I only posted to the forum after posting to the bug tracker and not having the tickets commented on for a few weeks. So the only time I have posted to both simultaneously has been this ticket. I will be sure not to do that gain unless a sufficient amount of time has passed and I have not received any insightful help. Coincidentally, I still have not received any true solutions for any of my tickets.

In terms of this ticket, I do not know exactly what causes the issue. I included to log, per your instructions on previous posts, because I thought an expert on this forum might see something in the log that indicates what is going on. I am happy to include anything that is requested of me, such as data dumps, etc...if I am given instructions on how to procure them.

Thanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SloanUser wrote:Coincidentally, I still have not received any true solutions for any of my tickets.
That's to be expected. The forums is the first line of defense, not the bugtracker. It's usually better and faster, if issues get first addressed in the forums, a lot more eyes here. More than 95% of the issues are resolved here, which keeps the developers focusing on the bug fixes and enhancements, and there is no need for another ticket to keep track of.
SloanUser wrote:I do not know exactly what causes the issue
That makes it hard to reproduce, harder to debug, hardest to fix. What's needed in such cases is a mini-dump. And since the forums are mainly populated by users, this is actually one of the few cases (the 5% ;)) that needs the mini-dump to be included in the ticket.

Not that there's a guarantee that something will show up, but there might be a chance that the developers detect something unusual. Of course the best scenario is a reproducible one, but in its absence, a mini-dump is your best option...
SloanUser

Post by SloanUser »

What is the best way to create the mini-dump? Since the entire VBox process is not crashing, I don't think you want me to create a Linux core dump.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Start by reading how to create a MiniDump for the VirtualBox crash. Read the "Creating core dumps to help analyze VirtualBox crashes", the section "Minidumps on Windows".