Bridging internet from window 7 guest to ubuntu 18.04 host machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jc115555

Bridging internet from window 7 guest to ubuntu 18.04 host machine

Post by jc115555 »

So i'm trying to figure out how to bridge my internet from my guest to host rather than host to guest. The reason is at the moment i'm stuck using pdanet's usb tethering for android which only has drivers for a windows environment. This makes it how the guest machine has internet but the host does not. I've been searching everywhere for a few hours now with no luck any assistance would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridging internet from window 7 guest to ubuntu 18.04 host machine

Post by socratis »

I don't have the specifics, they depend on your host and guest, but the general idea is as follows:
  • Have two NICs on your guest. One will be the USB tethering one, the other will be a HostOnly one. Make sure that you can access the internet from the USB tethering, make sure you can ping the host from the HostOnly.
  • On your host, disable your normal network, leave the HostOnly adapter only active. Make sure that you can ping the guest.
  • Use your guest as your proxy/gateway/router to access the internet via the shared HostOnly connection.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.