virtualbox with xubuntu 18 LTS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
franok

virtualbox with xubuntu 18 LTS

Post by franok »

I have installed xubuntu 18 lts, 32bits, try to virtualize ubuntu 16 lts 32 bits with virtualbox 5.2.10. It gives me a guru meditation error.
attached file log.
Attachments
VBox.log
(90.3 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: virtualbox with xubuntu 18 LTS

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 linux.x86 (Jun 15 2018 16:14:07) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

I didn't see a Guru Meditation in your log, but I saw this:
00:00:01.035724 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
00:00:01.289676 Full Name: "Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz"
Unfortunately, your Pentium Dual T3400 does not support VT-x. So, you can't run this VM as is. Your best bet would be to try something from the 4.3.x series, the 5.0.x series or the 5.1.x series. All of them are unsupported. And maybe an earlier guest, like Ubuntu 12.04...

The higher the VirtualBox version, the more dependent it is on the existence of VT-x, as the "raw mode" will be getting phased out over time.

PS. For future reference you should ZIP your logs. It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
franok

Post by franok »

Would you have to try VirtualBox 4.3.40 32 bits (released August 22nd 2016)?

I just wanted to try, this notebook is a bit old, and currently has xubuntu 18 LTS
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure if 4.3.40 will work with *ubuntu 18 or not, in fact I highly doubt it. The former was released on Aug/2016, the latter on Apr/2018. That's two years, which in software is a lot. You can only try it.

The truth of the matter is that your computer is seriously under-powered, both in CPU and in RAM. You're going to have a hard time finding the right combination of running an OS in a VM, especially an OS from 2018...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
franok

Post by franok »

Thank you very much, I guess it does not work.
This is a simple 32-bit notebook. I know he has little left at 32 bits.
This 32-bit notebook works very well with xubuntu 18 xfce.
It was simply a test to try virtualbox.
I know, I can not!
Thank you.
~$ :)