Windows 10 in the VM will not detect CAC reader or install drivers

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tinker123

Windows 10 in the VM will not detect CAC reader or install drivers

Post by tinker123 »

I am running Linux Mint 18.3 with Virtual Box 5.1.38_Ubuntu r122592

I have installed Windows 10 into a VM.

I did this so that I could use the Windows VM to VPN into my computer at work.
That requires attaching a USB CAC reader to my home computer and using my CAC.

I decided to go this route as the directions available at work for setting it all up with Windows is monumentally simpler.

I had no problems getting an internet connection in Windows in the VM. It was just there.

Following the set up directions I reached a point where Windows was supposed to detect the USB CAC reader and auto install some drivers.

It didn't. I made sure the settings for Windows doing that automatically were set.

Any ideas about what I would need to do to get Windows running in VirtualBox to detect my CAC reader and take care of downloading the drivers?

I don't know much about Windows or using Windows in VirtualBox so feel free to point me to docs and accept my apologies for not providing inadequate information.
Just describe the needed information and I will provide it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 in the VM will not detect CAC reader or install drivers

Post by socratis »

tinker123 wrote:Virtual Box 5.1.38_Ubuntu r122592
It looks like you're using the Ubuntu fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

After you have the official VirtualBox and the Extension Pack installed, read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.