running a guest operating system on ubuntu

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Lampochka

running a guest operating system on ubuntu

Post by Lampochka »

hello, but how is it that I can not start the guest operating system with the error emR3Debug: rc = VERR_TRPM_DONT_PANIC
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: running a guest operating system on ubuntu

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

-
Attachments
Screenshot_20180927_222757.png
Screenshot_20180927_222757.png (3.41 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Last edited by Lampochka on 27. Sep 2018, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

I can not load, swears at the size of the attachment
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Even if you ZIP it? What sizes of the VBox.log and its ZIP are we talking about? Once again, I do *not* want all the logs, I just need the VBox.log. Not the .1, not the .2, not the .3.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

done
Attachments
ubuntu-2018-09-28-14-08-33.zip
(46.64 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 linux.amd64 (Jun 15 2018 16:14:07) release log
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge the Ubuntu version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

But, on top of that, you have the following major, unsolvable problem:
00:00:23.510772 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation -2403 (VERR_TRPM_DONT_PANIC)
This is the Guru Meditation that you're getting.
00:00:01.749757 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
00:00:02.378146 Full Name: "Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B960 @ 2.20GHz"
And this is "why" you're getting that error.

Unfortunately, your Pentium B960 does not support VT-x. So, you can't run this VM as is. Your best bet would be to try something from the 4.3.x series, the 5.0.x series or the 5.1.x series. All of them are unsupported. Also, you can't run the newer OSes like Ubuntu 18.04. Maybe 12.04 or 14.04...

The higher the VirtualBox version, the newer the guest OS, the more dependent it is on the existence of VT-x, as the "raw mode" will be getting phased out over time.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

Well, so 3 months ago I also launched the same virtualo. What happened that the virtual machine can not start?
Last edited by socratis on 29. Sep 2018, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You're not giving me enough information, you're leaving everything open to speculation/imagination. And I have a vivid imagination...

So, unless you give me some more details, I can only start imagining things...
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

I manually deleted the virtuals on my hard drive. This was the biggest mistake, and I did not know that the program would be so outraged, even after several re-installations. I do not know what information to give you anymore. Tell me what else to say and I will say
Last edited by socratis on 29. Sep 2018, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

socratis wrote:... completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge the Ubuntu version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

you know, I did, in the terminal I executed the sudo apt purge virtualbox, then the same thing only, instead of purge, I entered autoremove, but then after installation it did not seem to delete, the virtual machine ubuntu remained
Last edited by socratis on 30. Sep 2018, 10:22, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Lampochka wrote:the virtual machine ubuntu remained
The VMs are data, not part of the program. It's like uninstalling LibreOffice and expect all your reports/spreadsheets/databases/drawings to be deleted as well. No.
Lampochka

Post by Lampochka »

but how do you properly remove the virtual machines and the program itself?
Last edited by socratis on 30. Sep 2018, 12:16, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

See ch. 10.1 Where VirtualBox stores its files for the location of the configuration files and the VM data.