Unable to use RDP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
macboybr

Unable to use RDP

Post by macboybr »

Hi! I'm needing a little help with a problem that is bothering me for several days now ...

Since the latest version of Virtualbox, every clean install and configuration that I've done with Ubuntu server (17.10 or 18.04) and VB5.2, I just can not use the RDP.

I've managed to get this to work several times with previous versions, using PHPVirtualbox to manage it.

The problem is: I can create the VM, and it starts properly, but PHP Virtualbox does not show the hostname near the port of the VM, as show:
[attachment = 1] Capture (1) .png [/ attachment]

And when I try to connect using Windows Remote Desktop, it displays an error:
[attachment = 0] Capture.PNG [/ attachment]

I'm probably doing some newbie mistake or just forgot some simple configuration, but I'm trying this for several days now, and could not find any solution.
Attachments
Error
Error
Capturar.PNG (47.17 KiB) Viewed 995 times
IP
IP
Capturar (1).png (119.8 KiB) Viewed 995 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to use RDP

Post by socratis »

The ports and IPs are not the same as the VirtualBox defaults. I guess phpVirtualBox is modifying the configuration. phpVirtualBox is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own phpVirtualBox support channels. If you are having this problem with a standalone version of VirtualBox, then we can continue this discussion.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
macboybr

Post by macboybr »

socratis wrote:The ports and IPs are not the same as the VirtualBox defaults. I guess phpVirtualBox is modifying the configuration. phpVirtualBox is a program that relies on VirtualBox but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own...
I'm using phpvirtualbox just to easily show what i believe to be the problem, but it's happening with the default virtualbox as well.

Even if i'm not using phpvirtualbox to create and start the VM, RPD just doesn't work.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

So, did you modify the default port of 3389? And if so, why? Also, I'm not sure why there's a "(127.0.0.1:9000)" is the Display details, I don't have it on my VirtualBox.

Finally, when you connect via RDP, you *have* to connect to the host, not the guest IP, right?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.