mouse click unresponsive when using an RDP connection inside a W7 gust

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
emilbebri

mouse click unresponsive when using an RDP connection inside a W7 gust

Post by emilbebri »

Hi,

When using an RDP-connection from inside a W7 guest, the mouse frequently - that is, several times in an hour - looses its ability to click on anything. I can fix it by going back to my Linux host (Lubuntu 18.04). and then back to the the RDP-inside-the-w7, but this is quite tedious, as it happens several times an hour. It's been like this for some time, at least a month, probably more. I wasn't like this before the summer,so some update since than has introduced this bug. I don't have any idea how to troubleshoot this issue.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Greetings, Emil
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: mouse click unresponsive when using an RDP connection inside a W7 gust

Post by socratis »

emilbebri wrote:I don't have any idea how to troubleshoot this issue.
This seems like a convoluted setup. So, with any problem that's multi-parametric, you start by eliminating one parameter at a time. For example, try to use the RDP feature from a Windows stand-alone, physical computer. That would tell you for example if it's an RDP issue to begin with.

Another one would be to try a different RDP client. Another way to tell if it's the RDP client.

A third one would be to try a different VM that you RDP from. Try a Linux guest for example. That would rule out the guest type.

A fourth one would be where you RDP, your RDP server. Try to RDP to something else.

And finally, *buntu 18.04 has developed a nasty habit where the mouse clicks get lost after a while. We've seen reports on both host and guest, so there's definitely something going on with Ubuntu. I've tried to gather all the host related threads on this in the thread "[Meta] Ubuntu 18.04 freezes". Take a look...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.