Graphical Glitch on Virtualbox Window Maximization (#17973)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
SloanUser

Graphical Glitch on Virtualbox Window Maximization (#17973)

Post by SloanUser »

ModEdit; related ticket: #17973: Graphical Glitch on Virtualbox Window Maximization
Hello,

I am running Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS with all the latest patches installed.

Linux xxxxxxx 4.15.0-33-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 15 16:00:05 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I installed Virtualbox/Extension Pack/Guest Additions from virtualbox.org; version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5 9.5)

My machine has two monitors (1 VGA; 1 DVI).

I run both Windows XP and Windows 7 as guests, with one running on each screen.

If I minimize either VM via the virtualbox control bar I am correctly shown the Linux desktop. However, when I try to restore/maximize the VM by choosing it from the Linux taskbar, the VM desktop is restored with significant graphical glitches. I am forced to CTRL-F twice to take the VM out of fullscreen mode/restore fullscreen mode to correct it. This is completely reproducible and happens 100% of the time, independent of guest OS.

I have attached the log from the VM that was minimized/maximized as well as a picture of the glitch happening.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
4. Graphical Glitch.jpg
4. Graphical Glitch.jpg (79.32 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
VBOX Log.log
(83.99 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Last edited by socratis on 26. Sep 2018, 05:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Graphical Glitch on Virtualbox Window Maximization (#17973)

Post by socratis »

SloanUser wrote:Linux xxxxxxx
"xxxxxxx"? Seriously? You're obfuscating a host name?
SloanUser wrote:I installed Virtualbox/Extension Pack/Guest Additions from virtualbox.org; version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5 9.5)
According to a previous post of yours, you had issues getting VirtualBox properly installed, has this been successfully resolved? If so, be a champ and update the thread that you did in fact resolved it successfully (and how).
SloanUser wrote:My machine has two monitors (1 VGA; 1 DVI).
Do these two have the same DPI? Do they have the same resolution?
SloanUser wrote:with one running on each screen. If I minimize either VM via the virtualbox control bar
Are you running full screen? And what do you mean by "VirtualBox control bar" exactly?
SloanUser wrote:when I try to restore/maximize the VM by choosing it from the Linux taskbar
So, you use VirtualBox(?) to minimize the VM and the host to restore it? What happens if you use just the host for both operations?

You captured the log after resuming the VM, and you captured it while the VM was running. That's not the proper way to get a log. The proper way to get a log is from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SloanUser

Post by SloanUser »

Thank you for the feedback and instructions. I have tried to answer your questions in order.

1. I obfuscated the hostname because it contained my father's name.

2. The previous post was related to another machine where I am still having issues. I will be sure to update that post if I make any progress.

3. Both monitors have the same DPI and resolution. Moreover my father has a second matching setup that has dual identical monitors. Both machines have this same issue. More importantly, the current machine has a separate video card and the second machine used Intel integrated graphics.

4. I am running fullscreen. The virtualbox control bar is the image that I have attached to this response.

5. I do use virtualbox to minimize the VM and the host to restore it. If I use the host to minimize by quickly double-clicking on the task bar, and then restore via the task bar, the issue does not occur.

6. I have attached the log per your instructions.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Attachments
Windows XP-2018-09-26-21-51-29.zip
(30.17 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
control bar.jpg
control bar.jpg (6.7 KiB) Viewed 2371 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

1. Sure thing, I completely understand, I wouldn't want my dad's name on the VirtualBox forums either. ;)
  2. Got it, I just (mistakenly) thought that we were talking about the same host. No problemo...
  3. Great, so that means it's not specific to a GPU or system. Well, not "great" but it makes it easier to identify and isolate if it's happening on multiple setups. I take it that both systems run the same host OS/version?
  4. I see. What you refer to as "control bar" is known as the "mini toolbar", that's where the confusion lies.
  5. So at least there is a known workaround for the moment. That's good news™.
  6. I finally saw what I was looking for and that was the version of Guest Additions in the guest. What I can't see is if you installed them while having booted the VM in safe mode, to enable the 3D acceleration part. But in any event I don't think it would matter.
So in summary, it looks like an issue with your setup. I cannot verify it on my host (OSX) because it's missing the mini toolbar option. So, let's see if anyone else can confirm this behavior with a different setup. Other than that, for the moment you have your "minimize from the host" workaround.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SloanUser

Post by SloanUser »

Thanks for reviewing and clarifying the mini toolbar explanation.

To answer your questions.

3. Yes. I intentionally setup both machines to be running the same version of all software.

6. Yes. I always install guest additions via safe mode with the 3D options.