VM freezes after host resume from sleep mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
tomaskcz

VM freezes after host resume from sleep mode

Post by tomaskcz »

Host : Ubuntu 18.04.1 Mate
Quest : Ubuntu 18.04.1 Mate
(both the same, fully updated, default kernel)

After host PC laptop is resumed from sleep mode, the quest linux VM is unresponsive. The last messages to be seen in VM log

Code: Select all

08:55:41.925867 Console: Machine state changed to 'Running'
08:55:41.925867 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 4 seconds ago
It doesn't happen always, but very often. The VM has to be powered off by Virtualbox menu or close button. Untill so, it loads 100% one CPU.

This is probably similar case to other issues reported with resuming from sleep, I didn't find any solution.

I've been using Virtualbox since Innotek and this is the first time I encountered such problems.

Same symptoms reproduced on virtualbox 5.2.10 and 5.2.18
Attachments
Ubuntu 18.04 Mate encx-2018-09-21-16-39-53.log.tar.gz
(31.23 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VM freezes after host resume from sleep mode

Post by socratis »

tomaskcz wrote:This is probably similar case to other issues reported with resuming from sleep, I didn't find any solution.
Yes, it appears so. That's why I decided to create a meta-thread to collect all the reports so that the developers might have a better chance of seeing all the data in one place.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tomaskcz

Re: VM freezes after host resume from sleep mode

Post by tomaskcz »

Please put a note to any thread if there is a solution available.

Untill then I switch to KVM.

Thank you.