The device cannot start (USB 3.0)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Siesto

The device cannot start (USB 3.0)

Post by Siesto »

Hello,

I run Vbox 5.2.18 on Ubuntu x64 16.04 LTS, kernel 4.15.0-34. Guest is Windows 7 x64 and Extpack 5.2.18 is installed in it. I have Intel USB 3.0 drivers installed in guest, too, from their website

Code: Select all

downloadcenter.intel. com/download/21129/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-7-Series-C216-Chipset-Family
Virtual machine is set to xHCI and it lists two USB 3.0 drives.

On the laptop, there are 2x USB 2.0 and 1x USB 3.0 ports. While all ports function properly in Ubuntu host, anything in USB 3.0 port that is connected/transfered to the virtual machine gets a Device Manager "Error 10: the device cannot start" and is unusable. I can only use devices thru USB 2.0 ports inside the VM.

I simply cannot use anything connected to USB 3.0 port, even plain USB 2.0 flash drive. I tried everything short of reinstalling the OSes, not an option. I searched the forums, but did not find "the device cannot start" error I get.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: The device cannot start (USB 3.0)

Post by socratis »

Siesto wrote:Device Manager "Error 10: the device cannot start"
Siesto wrote:I have Intel USB 3.0 drivers installed in guest
That Windows error shows that something is wrong with the installation most probably. Can you reinstall the drivers? And what's the state in the Windows Device Manager? Any warning signs?

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.