Cant boot Windows 10 guest from NVME disk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
edufissure

Cant boot Windows 10 guest from NVME disk

Post by edufissure »

I have the latest Virtualbox 5.2.18 in a Ubuntu 18.04.1. I have a guest system Windows 10. I have a vmdk hard drive ( virtual drive) saved in a SSD disk ( the file .vmdk. So i have recently upgraded my system buying a NVME (Samsung SSD 970 EVO PCI-E NVMe M.2 500 GB). So i wanted to take advantatge and define the storage as:

But i get an error when i want to boot:

So but if i use the same file .vmdk as SATA ( which ive been using these past years and stored in a ssd disk) it works perfect...

I have also in both guest and host the latest Extension pack installed. Do i have to convert the file .vmdk ? Any additional files or missed things ?
edufissure

Re: Cant boot Windows 10 guest from NVME disk

Post by edufissure »

Duplicate message deleted by mod.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Some general points:
  1. Posting the same message twice, isn't any more likely to get you a response. This is a user-to-user forum so if there isn't anyone around, at least, no-one who has a similar experience then you won't get an answer.
  2. Your images aren't being displayed, you need to use the "Upload attachment" option when posting your message.
AFAIK the Windows 10 template uses SATA controllers for a reason - they work! I'm not sure Windows 10 knows (natively at least) how to boot from a virtualised NVME disk. In reality you probably won't see much of a performance difference in the guest between the two settings so I would stick with the one that works!

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I assume that double posting in one topic was an accident due to the weird caching issues that the forum has been having recently. I've deleted the second message.
edufissure

Post by edufissure »

andyp73 mpack

Sorry i repeated the post by double clicking....

Here is my post with images ( as my images are larger than the size authorised by this forum):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1073140 ... -with-nvme

Hope you can help...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I think you are making a mistake by configuring the VM for NVMe. Not only is it not required, it is almost guaranteed to trip over the problem Windows always has when you change disk controller.

Leave the controller type set to SATA, but do go ahead and enable the "Solid State Drive" option. As I understand it this was the only thing you really needed.
edufissure

Post by edufissure »

Thanks is this a bug or known issue in virtualbox ?

As i have bought a new SSD i just wanted to take benefit of the hardware ( more transfer speed, faster booting times, etc....). So i wanted to change sata controller to nvme.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

edufissure wrote:Thanks is this a bug or known issue in virtualbox ?
Neither. The problem is in Windows, and even there it isn't a bug unless you can find a Microsoft document that says this functionality is expected, i.e. that you should be able to swap disk controllers in your PC without complaint.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Switching the virtual guest controller to NVMe will not give you any benefit for running your guest.
Even with a virtual IDE controller you will benefit from the higher performance of your host OS accessing the physical NVMe disk.
edufissure

Post by edufissure »

Thanks then id continue use a SATA controller. As its a virtual hard drive, i thought i could use different controllers ( with vm turned off, and then boot).
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not sure what you mean there. Yes it's a virtual hard drive, but the guest OS doesn't know that: as far as Win10 is concerned, it was installed onto a SATA drive, and it installed boot code to find and boot from that SATA drive. If the drive is replaced with a different controller then it will cause problems in that boot code, whether the PC is virtual or physical.