Failed to open session for the Virtual Machine Windows7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ea

Failed to open session for the Virtual Machine Windows7

Post by ea »

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7 2016.

Unsupported version 6 of data unit 'hda' (instance #0, pass 0xffffffff) (VERR_SSM_UNSUPPORTED_DATA_UNIT_VERSION).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

This version is on 16.04LTS with an older version of VB
ea

Re: Failed to open session for the Virtual Machine Windows7

Post by ea »

I am currently running Ubuntu 18.04LTS and VirtualBox 5.2, I have had no problems opening and using this VDi.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The error VERR_SSM_UNSUPPORTED_DATA_UNIT_VERSION is typically caused by creating a saved state of a VM guest with an older version of VirtualBox, upgrading, and then trying to open it in a newer version. Try deleting the saved state and restart the guest.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
ea

Post by ea »

I did set up a new session but when I started that session I have access to the internet but not to the system hard drive. When I run diagnostics on the connewction the message is: "a problem prevented the diagnostics to work".

Nothing else. I did have full access to this computer's hard drive but now have no way to read it or write to it.
A few hours after the above:
I removed any and all Virtual Box files and folders, my data is on a partition of the system hard drive, VB stuff on another partition.
I then started anew, a new VDi and a fresh installation of Windows 7. I have access to the Internet, but I cannot access the other computers or the hard drive on the computer upon which is the Virtual Box system.

The problem is a block somewhere, either Ubuntu 18.04LTS, Virtual Box or Windows 7.
My first guess is that the current version of VB has a problem that will not allow W7 to run the required steps to connect to the hard drive partition I need.
That is what shows.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That doesn't seem to bear much relation to the instructions you were given. To deleted a saved state you simply right click the VM in the manager, and select "Discard Saved State..." from the resulting menu. I have no idea what "setting up a new session" consists of, but it doesn't sound good.
ea

Post by ea »

I removed all Virtual Box files then built a new Virtual Box guest on Ubuntu 18.04LTS, I still cannot access the HDD of the physical computer this guest is installed on. In addition I cannot reach the home network with 2 other computers.
Within Windows 7 none of the available ways of connecting to home network work, in one I am to click "join" but that button is not there. I can from VB Window7 ping the computer but I can not get to it in any other way. (on the Windows "Search programs and files" I enter "ping 192.168.0.103") and get instant response of 32 bytes sent and received.
ea

Post by ea »

The answer to all the problems was to install "Guest additions"
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Um... No it wasn't. SSM errors are from the "save state" mechanism running on the host. They have nothing at all to do with anything installed in the guest OS.