New to VM's; is Ubuntu 18.04 a good host?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Flarebrass
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win10, Android6, Android7

New to VM's; is Ubuntu 18.04 a good host?

Post by Flarebrass »

I've built a pretty good machine and installed Bionic Beaver about two weeks ago, and I've been struggling with VM's ever since. I've seen a few posts around with other users having issues with Ubuntu 18.04, and I've yet to find a configuration for my system that doesn't suffer from serious FPS and input latency issues. I've tried three different versions of VirtualBox, three versions of Guest Additions, six different guest OS's, and hundreds of different configurations within the Settings menu on top of dozens of downloaded packages from who knows how many blogs and lots of BIOS edits. At this point, I'm starting to think that Ubuntu 18.04 is just not a good host and I'm debating if I should try another host OS, so does anyone have a success story about this OS that'll keep me motivated to keep trying?
Guideloom

Re: New to VM's; is Ubuntu 18.04 a good host?

Post by Guideloom »

Side note: We couldn't get Ubuntu 18.04.1 installed on a Ryzen processor. Won't even install. Goes into an install loop.
Flarebrass

Post by Flarebrass »

I flashed the 18.04 ISO to a USB and installed it just fine on my Ryzen, and some emulators are working beautifully. I'm just stuck at the virtualization piece to get Windows and Android performing at a reasonable level using 18.04 as the host.

Do you need some help with installing 18.04 as a host? I can help with that at least, even if my original question goes unanswered.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Flarebrass wrote:I can help with that at least, even if my original question goes unanswered.
Your question is probably going to remain unanswered until you follow the guidelines on Minimum information needed for assistance specifically the parts about posting log files for inspection.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Flarebrass

Post by Flarebrass »

My question does not require specifics about my machine nor other peoples' machines, but rather asks for a general opinion about the state of the software in question. And so far, since it appears that not a single user has been successful in setting up VirtualBox on Ubuntu 18.04, I think my suspicions are correct that this is a bad host since it's still such a young OS. I'll probably skip VirtualBox until the development team fixes some of the issues.
Guideloom

Post by Guideloom »

Flarebrass wrote:I flashed the 18.04 ISO to a USB and installed it just fine on my Ryzen, and some emulators are working beautifully. I'm just stuck at the virtualization piece to get Windows and Android performing at a reasonable level using 18.04 as the host.

Do you need some help with installing 18.04 as a host? I can help with that at least, even if my original question goes unanswered.
What are your BIOS settings set to?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Flarebrass wrote:My question does not require specifics about my machine nor other peoples' machines, but rather asks for a general opinion
IMHO, questions like that only ever receive negative responses, because those with no problems are not motivated to post.
Flarebrass

Post by Flarebrass »

Guideloom wrote:What are your BIOS settings set to?
Well, I didn't really touch the BIOS until after I got Ubuntu installed, so make sure you're booting from your install media as the primary boot device. Once you get the OS installed, remove the media and reboot from your primary disk drive.

Does the installation freeze at a particular step, or loop back to a previous step? Does it give an error?
Was your disk drive partitioned/formatted correctly? (I've been using Fat32 forever, but Linux requires Ext4.)