VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
BKorb

VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)

Post by BKorb »

Host: openSUSE
CPU: Intel i7-6800k
MoBo: ASUS x99
RAM: 64GB

In the BIOS, VTx is enabled and greyed out, meaning I would not know how to disable even if I wanted to. :)

So, since I cannot start my machine and since the virtual machine is pretty worthless to me without more than 3GB of RAM, now what?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)

Post by socratis »

You got to find what's using (seemingly exclusively) the VT-x. Although mostly geared to Windows hosts, take a look at the FAQ I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BKorb

Re: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)

Post by BKorb »

Yep. Went through that. Responding to the 4 points on that page:

1. Intel i7-6800k is not just 64 bit, but handles 128GB of RAM. I am currently 1/2 populated.
2. As I said, I see it activated, but also do not see a way to turn it off
3. This is likely the culprit: kvm is a loaded kernel module

Code: Select all

$  lsmod|grep -Ei 'v.*m'
kvm                   704512  0
irqbypass              16384  1 kvm
video                  45056  2 asus_wmi,nouveau
drm                   438272  5 nouveau,ttm,drm_kms_helper
4. It's hard to load a 32 bit OS when the VM doesn't turn on. :)

I will try to disable it and reboot. I'll be back to say something one way or the other. Thank you.

Nope. It wasn't KVM. :(
Last edited by BKorb on 1. Sep 2018, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

BKorb wrote:3. This is likely the culprit: kvm is a loaded kernel module
Not likely, certainly! ;)

KVM used to play nice, i.e. they would cooperate and take turns into using the VT-x, only when needed. Sometime last year, they decided to pull a ... Hyper-V on everyone. They now run exclusively, so VirtualBox can't even ask for VT-x, it's not available. It's an unfortunate change in attitude, but something that VirtualBox can do nothing about.

You could always complain... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BKorb

Post by BKorb »

That is pretty terrible, alright. I had KVM blacklisted, but it showed anyway. But, after Googling and Googling and Googling, I stumbled on an idea about looking at what KVM has to say:

Code: Select all

$ dmesg |grep kvm
[   12.032499] kvm: disabled by bios
[ 1808.157124] kvm: disabled by bios
[ 1852.081267] kvm: disabled by bios
So despite what I see in the BIOS, KVM thinks the BIOS is preventing use of VTx. On to more Googling. I've been at this VM thing for almost an entire week now. Should not be this hard.
BKorb

SOLVED: Re: VT-x is disabled in the BIOS for all CPU modes (VERR_VMX_MSR_ALL_VMX_DISABLED)

Post by BKorb »

All ya gotta do is know that just because VT-x is supported, does not mean that way further down the page the BIOS might also be saying, "disabled".
VT-x works better when it is enabled.