Angle bracket ">" being translated to X

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
buggington

Angle bracket ">" being translated to X

Post by buggington »

Hi guys,

I have an issue with VirtualBox 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 running on Ubuntu 18.04.1. Some of my keys are being mapped very strangely:

Typing > results in X
Typing < results in Z

Obviously this creates quite an issue for redirecting files in Linux, so I'm a little bit stuck until I get this sorted.

I've had a look around for solutions but most people suggest it's the guest OS that needs its keyboard changing. I have either UK Macintosh or UK Standard set in my Ubuntu guests. Can anyone suggest how I might fix or further diagnose this please?

socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Angle bracket ">" being translated to X

Post by socratis »

buggington wrote:VirtualBox 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.

As for the keyboard, you should match what you physically have with what you have on your guest, be it Mac UK, or PC US...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
buggington

Post by buggington »

socratis wrote:
buggington wrote:VirtualBox 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806
You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox.
Thanks Socratis - where are the Ubuntu forums? I can only see Windows, Linux or Mac OS.

Also I use a UK Mac keyboard so it should match. It's fine on the host, but there's something that happens somewhere along Host --> VBox --> Guest :?:
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

buggington wrote:where are the Ubuntu forums? I can only see Windows, Linux or Mac OS.
When I mentioned that it's a fork, that means that they modify the software, and we don't know exactly how. If you want support with the version that you currently have installed, try https://ubuntuforums.org/
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
buggington

Post by buggington »

Ah, my bad, I didn't pick up on the fork bit quite as you intended. Thanks, I'll have a play with the standard one and report back :)