NVMe PCI passthru mode

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Amith

NVMe PCI passthru mode

Post by Amith »

HI, Everyone.

I am trying to add the NVMe drive (PCI) as pass-thru into ubuntu guest (Ubuntu host). I changed the chipset to ich9 and used this command to add the PCI device.

"VBoxManage modifyvm "VM name" --pciattach 02:00.0@01:05.0" where 02:00.0 is the PCI ID of the NVMe drive.

Trying to power on the system will fail. The error message is Failed to open a session for the Virtual machine: The VM session was aborted. NS_ERROR_FAILURE

Please advice
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NVMe PCI passthru mode

Post by socratis »

Amith wrote:Please advice
I'm afraid that as far as PCI passthrough goes, you're going to be on your own. There's only 1 1/2 people in this world (that we know of) that have actually done it successfully. So, there's not going to be too much advice on that front.

Just telling you so that you can "adjust" your expectations, and not feel that you're being ignored...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Amith

Post by Amith »

socratis.

Thanks. I am hoping if someone has something to offer me. I have spent enough time.

Strange thing is, i got it working, the System boots up.

when i see what is there on the lspci bus, it shows the non volatile memory controller, but OS does not see it as Block storage or either character device under /dev.

very confusing. I will try to get the dmesg logs

Amith
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Amith wrote:i got it working, the System boots up.
Great! As I said this is a really rarely used feature, and we don't really have that much experience on that front, so any success stories, will definitely help! Please keep us updated!
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Amith

Post by Amith »

I was happy that it boots up.

I powered off and tried again, error resurfaced back. The only thing I have to do to get the Guest OS boots up is to detach the pci. No luck. I hope if someone has done this before.

I was just wondering they have added the new external package for the NVMe support but this it does not work or no proper documentation.

Amith