Debian VM do not have /media/cdrom - Installing Guest Additions on Debian

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Seeh

Debian VM do not have /media/cdrom - Installing Guest Additions on Debian

Post by Seeh »

I did as explained here:
virtualboxes org/doc/installing-guest-additions-on-debian/

this works:

"Login as root;
Update your APT database with apt-get update;
Install the latest security updates with apt-get upgrade;
Install required packages with apt-get install build-essential module-assistant;
Configure your system for building kernel modules by running m-a prepare;
Click on Install Guest Additions… from the Devices menu, then run "

Next not work here: " mount /media/cdrom.
Run sh /media/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run, and follow the instructions on screen."

i have it from here : bitnami com/stack/shopware/virtual-machine
Attachments
2018-08-17 21_25_28-bitnami-shopware (sftp geht phpmyadmin ) [wird ausgeführt] - Oracle VM VirtualBo.jpg
2018-08-17 21_25_28-bitnami-shopware (sftp geht phpmyadmin ) [wird ausgeführt] - Oracle VM VirtualBo.jpg (39.19 KiB) Viewed 2953 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Debian VM do not have /media/cdrom - Installing Guest Additions on Debian

Post by socratis »

Seeh wrote:I did as explained here:
If you have a problem with a set of instructions, you should be asking the author of the instructions. If we were to try to support every website/blog/e-mail out there, we would be doomed.

We do support however the official instructions, as found on the User Manual, ch. 4.2.2 Guest Additions for Linux. A small excerpt from there:
3. Change to the directory where your CD-ROM drive is mounted and execute as root:
      sh ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
How you mount, or if you actually need to mount your CD-ROM, depends on your distro/version. I don't recall that for a Debian 9 I had to issue any 'mount' commands for example...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.