VM crashes after GPU passthrough

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Nora

VM crashes after GPU passthrough

Post by Nora »

Hi there!

I'm attempting to setup GPU passthrough to a Win10 guest with an Ubuntu 18.04 host.

I have two GPUs (GTX750Ti and GTX980), as well as integrated graphics. I wish to assign the GTX980 to a VM (VM is configured and Win10 is already installed), but after I've attached the GPU to the VM, it starts crashing at startup. If I detach the GPU, VM works normally again.

Error message is the following:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine 980.

The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}
I also found this in the log, but I'm not completely sure what it means.

00:00:00.388450 PDM: Failed to construct 'pciraw'/0! VERR_NOT_FOUND (-78) - Generic not found error.
00:00:00.393400 AIOMgr: Flush failed with VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER, disabling async flushes
Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VM crashes after GPU passthrough

Post by socratis »

Just because it's your first post and I don't want you to think that no one is paying attention... We're not going to be able to help you most probably, because there's exactly 1 1/2 people in the known universe that have managed to get GPU passthrough to work. Which means not enough opinions/experiences/help.

In any event, can you post the complete VBox.log ZIPPED from a crash of the VM, in case that there's something else other than PCI passthrough that does this?

Follow a "start the VM from cold-boot" / "observe error" / "shutdown the VM" cycle. With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).

Also, we could cross-check with previous posts if you've set up the PCI passthrough correctly, if you post the commands that you used to make it happen.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nora

Re: VM crashes after GPU passthrough

Post by Nora »

Hi, Socratis!

I completely understand that all of this is still experimental. I've already tried a couple of ways to configure GPU passthrough and kept hitting constant snags, so I don't have my hopes up too high. Your willingness to assist is greatly appreciated though <3

I've uploaded the VM log after starting the VM (once again, the VM window opens for a second, closes, and shows the error message from my original comment).

As for the steps, I've pretty much done the following:

- Made sure VT-d is enabled in BIOS.
- Added "intel_iommu=on" to the grub file and used grub-update, then rebooted.
- Found ids via lspci.
- Installed VirtualBox and the Extensions pack (since the Extensions pack link in the official download page doesn't work, I used the "5.2.18-124319 " one from here: download (dot) virtualbox (dot) org/virtualbox/5.2.18/).
- Created Windown VM and installed Windows, then shut it down.
- used

VBoxManage modifyvm "980" --pciattach 02:00.0@01:00.0
without any error messages.

That's about it, I believe.

Again, deepest thanks!
Attachments
VM-2018-08-15-17-47-10.zip
(8.96 KiB) Downloaded 31 times