USB communication Win7 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
vvucic

USB communication Win7 Guest

Post by vvucic »

I use Virtual box 5.1.38-53.1 on GNU/Linux OpenLeap 42.3 as host and Win7 as Guest. I have connected HP LaserJetP1006 printer that works normally in Linux. Virtualbox listed it in list of USB devices, but it never prints out. The printer siinstalled properly , it is ready for printing but when spool is generated it shows error. I am curious to know is it possible that Virtual box sees the printer but does not allow data to pass to printer for some reason. Is there any possibility that some Firewall or other rule can prevent VirtualBox to pass data in spool to USB printer?

Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB communication Win7 Guest

Post by socratis »

vvucic wrote:Is there any possibility that some Firewall or other rule can prevent VirtualBox to pass data in spool to USB printer?
Not that we know of. Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.

Another option (preferable actually) would be to share the printer in the network and then connect from your Win7 guest to your OpenSUSE host. That way both your host and your guest could access the printer at the same time. If you go with the USB printer option, only one of them can have access, since USB devices cannot be shared.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.