Centos 7 cluster and only see 32-bit Virtualbox options on compute nodes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
plasmaphys1

Centos 7 cluster and only see 32-bit Virtualbox options on compute nodes

Post by plasmaphys1 »

I have Centos 7, Bright Cluster Managed, 30 node Intel cpu/gpu cluster. I have segmented 5 CPU nodes as a sandbox for Windows and when I test to create a VirtualBox on the headnode, I see all of the 32-bit and 64-bit options. When I go directly to a compute node, e.g. node001 - node005, and run VirtualBox, I only see 32-bit options. VT-x for hardware virtualization is enabled and I checked using grep --color vmx /proc/cpuinfo on the compute node itself. Any suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Centos 7 cluster and only see 32-bit Virtualbox options on compute nodes

Post by socratis »

plasmaphys1 wrote:Bright Cluster Managed
You'll need to provide more details about where we can read about that. The majority of the users are on a single, simple computer, not on a ... whatever this is. Do you have links so we can understand how this thing works? And the biggest question is: is this a virtualized environment?
plasmaphys1 wrote:I have segmented 5 CPU nodes as a sandbox for Windows
I don't even know what that means, again you'll have to explain the situation like I'm a 6-year old... ;)
plasmaphys1 wrote:run VirtualBox, I only see 32-bit options
That means that either VT-x is not available, or something else is using VT-x, most probably exclusively. Things like antivirus, debuggers, emulators, etc. Check out the articles "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" and "I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests" to get some ideas...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.