Remote Display issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DoubleK66

Remote Display issues

Post by DoubleK66 »

This is my first post, like to said hello to everyone :D .

I have a problem using the remote display to access the VM console on Ubuntu 18.04, seems the problem is the port defined only bind to the 127.0.0.1 interface, even on the xrdp.ini I have added the line address=0.0.0.0, RDP to the host OS on 3389 work normally.

The setting on Virtualbox
VRBE port.jpg
VRBE port.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
netstat show only 127.0.0.1 bind to the 5555
binding localhost.jpg
binding localhost.jpg (13.33 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
I can use remote desktop client on the same host machine to connect the remote display on 5555 and from a remote PC, can use the ssh -L 5555:localhost:5555 to redirect the port and connect, but just cannot use the RDP client to connect directly on port 5555, what do I miss?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Remote Display issues

Post by socratis »

Firewall? You are trying to connect to the host's port 5555, right? Not to the guest's IP, but to the host's IP. BTW, did I understand it right that you can connect with no problems on the default port 3389? But not on 5555? I'd look at the firewall then...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DoubleK66

Post by DoubleK66 »

Hi socratis,

Yes can rdp to normal port 3389, which is the host OS but not 5555, I use the host IP for the connection.
There is no firewall on the linux.

On the netstats,it show 3389 bind to 0.0.0.0 but 5555 bind to 127.0.0.1, I am not sure what step is missing on VirtualBox make it only bind to the loopback...

Thanks for you reply.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DoubleK66 wrote:I am not sure what step is missing on VirtualBox
On the VirtualBox configuration there aren't that many options as you can tell. I'd start looking and asking the same question from the host side, what's the configuration that you have to change on the host. I'm afraid that I'm not that familiar with Linux to be able to give you an educated answer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DoubleK66

Post by DoubleK66 »

Actually, I only started to use Linux for a month, most of the setting is default, only added address=0.0.0.0 in the xrdp.ini