Both VM's suddenly look really bad

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kanuuker

Both VM's suddenly look really bad

Post by kanuuker »

I have two VM - one Linux (Lubuntu), one Windows (Win7). Suddenly they both look like crap. Their fonts are ugly and distorted, even during the boot loader. I can't pick a decent resolution in Windows and I can pick a higher resolution in Lubuntu but it has no effect. I did a full remove (purge) of VirtualBox and reinstalled but the problem persists. I can't figure out what the heck I've done.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Both VM's suddenly look really bad

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kanuuker

Post by kanuuker »

Log file attached. Thank you for looking at this.
I forgot to mention that I'm using Kubuntu - Ubuntu with the KDE interface.

Thanks
Attachments
Windows 7-2018-08-07-20-08-08.zip
(24.15 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 linux.amd64 (Jun 15 2018 16:14:07) release log
Not only is this an older version, but it's the Ubuntu fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).

Don't forget to update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest after you've upgraded to/installed the official VirtualBox.
00:00:00.337435   Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack (Version: 5.2.16 r123759; VRDE Module: VBoxVRDP)
In any case, the ExtPack must match the version of the installed main program.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
kanuuker

Post by kanuuker »

I updated to 5. 2. 16 and installed the guest additions but I'm still having the same problem. I think the problem is more fundamental than the version though. It was working just fine and then all of sudden both of my vm's look like they don't have a video driver installed. And this is important - it does this even on the bootloader. Even the fonts on the bootloader screens look terrible. I don't really know how to explain it, but it feels like the graphic capabilities of my host OS (which looks fine) aren't being passed on to Virtual Box. I can't change my resolution above 1024x768, select the size of the virtual display does nothing, etc. The problem is happening to both my linux and windows guest OS's.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Pick a VM that has issues and post a new ZIPPED VBox.log from a complete VM session.