Windows 10 guest and Skype for Business

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mdo

Windows 10 guest and Skype for Business

Post by mdo »

Hello,

our developers rely on a Linux (Fedora) based working environment for their day-to-day work. The company requires them to use Skype for Business in the future for voice calls. SFB works so far, when we run it within a Windows 10 guest and USB-plugged headsets work, too.

The problem we now approach is that we need to get notifications for incoming calls. We tried Windows/Skype in seamless mode, so that we have the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen, while the Linux bar is at the top. When a call comes in, the Skype notification pops up. That's fine.

But when we have a Linux application, e.g. a browser, in front this will hide the Skype popup because the notification seems to be part of the seamless Windows VM application window in the back. As a result you'll miss incoming calls.

Relying solely on sound notifications is not an option for us.

Question: is there any chance to a) bring the Skype notification or alternatively the whole VM window to the front or b) are there known options to trigger a signal from within the VM to the host system?

Regards,
mdo
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 guest and Skype for Business

Post by socratis »

mdo wrote:is there any chance to a) bring the Skype notification or alternatively the whole VM window to the front
No.
mdo wrote:b) are there known options to trigger a signal from within the VM to the host system?
The same ones as you would trigger from physical computer A to physical computer B. You could write a file (as a flag) in a shared location from the guest and check from the host for the existence or not of the file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.