VirtualBoz - Linux -problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
petrpan

VirtualBoz - Linux -problem

Post by petrpan »

Hi guys,

Can someone help me. I installed VB without any problem, but when I wanted to isntall Linux OS though buttom Play (green button) this always appears:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine LinuxOS.

The virtual machine 'ParotOS' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please install virtualbox-dkms package and load the kernel module by executing

'modprobe vboxdrv'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
What to do, please? I tried to remove DKMS and install in again, but it does not solve a problem.
Last edited by socratis on 3. Aug 2018, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBoz - Linux -problem

Post by socratis »

petrpan wrote:I installed VB without any problem
petrpan wrote:Please install virtualbox-dkms package
You don't mention your Host, your VirtualBox version, where you got it from or anything close to a "detailed report" that could help us figure out what's going on. So, I have to guess now...

You got VirtualBox either from your disrtribution's "store", or you use apt-get or something similar. The point is that most probably you didn't get VirtualBox from the official site https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads. What you need to do is to delete all VirtualBox traces from your system (except your VMs, if any) and install the official VirtualBox.

The official VirtualBox hasn't required DKMS since 5.1.x.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

Hi,

thank you. I install it from terminal (sudo apt-get install ). I downloaded VB from official site and I can not install it. It shows me this: Please, look at a screen shot.

What to do, please?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-08-03 22-47-43.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-08-03 22-47-43.png (57.48 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

I have a problem, I do not know, how to install it. I tried sudo-update and then sudo apt-get install virtualbox-5.2 and I can not find it in pc... Could you help, me, please, how to install it?
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

I have Intel CPU...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I told you that you first need to remove all existing VirtualBox packages and libraries. Then you install the official one. How? It depends on your host OS.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

I have Linux Mint 64 now, how to install it again, please? I did it, I removed DB.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

petrpan wrote:how to install it again, please?
Follow the instructions at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

I can not install it, I tried it. I downloaded. three different versions and did the same as before..I shared that picture...
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

If you have a conflict, that means that you haven't cleaned up your system. Not that much that I can do from here. You got to find and remove the existing VirtualBox packages before you install the new version. I've already covered that, I don't like to repeat myself.
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

Any idea?
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-08-04 19-42-57.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-08-04 19-42-57.png (53.94 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Breaks existing package...
I've already told you twice what you need to do. You seem to ignore the advice. I'll let someone else deal with it. I'm done here.
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

And how to break it? I tried it to delete it and did that.. what else?
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

I uninstalled it from the Cinnamon menu( by right clicking and clicking on uninstall).
It was uninstalled successfully.
petrpan

Post by petrpan »

But still have same problem. Can some tell me, what is wrong and write down what to do, please..