Virtualbox GUI seems to be broken

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Silentstorm

Virtualbox GUI seems to be broken

Post by Silentstorm »

There's black lines everywhere, i can barely read the VM name and info on the side. Does anybody have a clue on how to fix this or am i stuck with this "GUI"?
Screenshot
Screenshot
Screenshot.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox GUI seems to be broken

Post by socratis »

This seems like an issue with your setup; desktop environment, window manager, themes, etc. What's your exact setup starting with your detailed distro information?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Looks like someone has configured white fonts, even on white backgrounds.
Silentstorm

Post by Silentstorm »

1. I'm on Lubuntu 18.04 x64 bit

silentstorm@Talik-Lin:~$ uname -a
Linux Talik-Lin 4.15.0-29-generic #31-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 17 15:39:52 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

2. I don't play around with fonts and colours unless i have to
3. I don't know what other commands to do so tell me if you need any particular output from something
Silentstorm

Post by Silentstorm »

Reinstalling doesn't fix the problem either. I'm thinking it has something to do with whatever virtualbox uses for a GUI (i think its qt) but i want to avoid reinstalling anything gui related until i know which things to reinstall.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox does use Qt. One thing you didn't tell us is where did you get VirtualBox from. If you did *not* get it from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, then you should. But I don't think it's a Qt issue, as much as a configuration issue on the theme that you have selected. Since you're the 1st one reporting something like that, I've got to go with the assumption that something is wrong(ly setup) with your system.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Silentstorm

Post by Silentstorm »

I always get virtualbox from here so thats not a problem. I'm going to try reinstall everything qt related. Otherwise, i'm stuck.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Reinstallation is not always the answer. This looks like a host theme problem, so the obvious answer is to try another theme, or reconfigure font colors on the current theme.
Silentstorm

Post by Silentstorm »

How would i do that?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm afraid I can't help you with that. I don't provide technical support for Lubuntu! Perhaps your host OS documentation or support site would be a good place to look.
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Silentstorm wrote:How would i do that?
Look around the Lubuntu start menu. I am sure there is a configuration GUI where you can change the your DE theme. Please try a few different themes to see if the problem persist.