Virtualbox unable to make Vdisk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mrmajik45

Virtualbox unable to make Vdisk

Post by mrmajik45 »

I can't make my system the VMs hdd. Command used

Code: Select all

sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "~/VirtualBox VMs/reactos/disk.vmdk" -rawdisk /dev/sda
Here's the error info:

VBoxManage: error: VMDK: could not create new file '~/VirtualBox VMs/reactos/disk.vmdk'
VBoxManage: error: Error code VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND at /home/vbox/vbox-5.2.16/src/VBox/Storage/VMDK.cpp(3392) in function int vmdkCreateRawImage(PVMDKIMAGE, PVDISKRAW, uint64_t)
VBoxManage: error: Cannot create the raw disk VMDK: VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
VBoxManage: error: The raw disk vmdk file was not created
Can i fix this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox unable to make Vdisk

Post by socratis »

See ch. 9.9.1 Using a raw host hard disk from a guest of the User Manual for the proper format of the command. You need an absolute path, not a relative one.

And for the love of bytes, are you trying to raw access your primary disk "/dev/sda"? Do you want to kill your host?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

YEP I WANNA INSTALL A NEW OS.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You want to install a new OS from a VM that's running on your existing OS? And how exactly are you going to overwrite your OS that you are actively using?

Can't do that. You need to boot from a CD your host if you want to do that.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Now i can't add the disk to the vm.

Permission problem accessing the file for the medium '/home/wabbitswife/VirtualBox VMs/reactos/disk.vmdk' (VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
All permissions are granted for all users.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Whatever you want to do, will NOT work. You'd better forget the whole experiment.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

I don't care i actually am going to install a OS i after i destroy this.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

The operation CANNOT work. I don't really care what you do with your computer. But you can't cut your legs while you're standing, do you understand that concept? If you want to install a new OS on your computer you got to boot your computer from a CD/DVD/USB. Not a VM.