3D acceleration for Windows 7 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
adamtyvm

3D acceleration for Windows 7 guest

Post by adamtyvm »

I'm running a windows 7 instance on Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS hosted on Google Compute Engine, the instance will run with 2D acceleration but my client required 3D acceleration.

This is the error I'm getting
VBoxManage: error: This VM was configured to use 3D acceleration. However, the 3D support of the host is not working properly and the VM cannot be
started. To fix this problem, either fix the host 3D support (update the host graphics driver?) or disable 3D acceleration in the VM settings (VE
RR_NOT_AVAILABLE)
VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole
Host details:
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic
Graphics driver: Red Hat, Inc Virtio SCSI

I've got guest additions installed on the guest machine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 3D acceleration for Windows 7 guest

Post by socratis »

adamtyvm wrote:Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS hosted on Google Compute Engine
This is an infrastructure that doesn't provide you with 3D graphics card, is it? That's not its purpose AFAIK. So, how do you expect to find 3D acceleration on something that the host doesn't provide? It won't work.

Get a dedicated host with a good 3D graphics card if you want 3D capabilities in your guest. They don't come out of thin air...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.