[Invalid] cant run any virtual machines on linux mint !

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mohamedhany

[Invalid] cant run any virtual machines on linux mint !

Post by mohamedhany »

hello ! i recently installed Vbox on my linux mint machine but iam facing a problem that i can't solve whenever i start a virtual machine i get this error message
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ubuntu

The virtual machine 'ubuntu' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}
Then after a few moments i get this error message
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please install virtualbox-dkms package and load the kernel module by executing

'modprobe vboxdrv'

as root. If it is available in your distribution, you should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
I don't know what to do i also went to the software center on my distribution and installed the following packages
1.virtualbox-dkms
2. Dkms
3. Virtualbox-guest-dkms
after i installed the packages i stil get the same error message !
i also opened the terminal and executed
modprobe vboxdrv
and i got the following output
modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv

modprobe vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.10.0-38-generic
Can you plz help me because i am new to linux and i really need virtual box working on my machine!
Last edited by socratis on 2. Aug 2018, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: cant run any virtual machines on linux mint !

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
mohamedhany

Post by mohamedhany »

I tried starting the VM and then shut it down and right clicked the VM and pressed Show log but I got this message

No log files found. Press the refresh button to rescan the log

Folder /home/..../VirtualBox VMs/ubuntu/logs.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mohamedhany wrote:i also went to the software center on my distribution
It looks like you're using the distro's fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).

For example VirtualBox hasn't used DKMS for Linux since 5.1.x.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mohamedhany

Post by mohamedhany »

Thank you for your help ! But does the installation require any terminal work ? Or its just installing the .Deb package ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not that I know of, but even if it did, you still want it installed, no? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mohamedhany

Post by mohamedhany »

Never mind I just solved the problem I uninstalled virtual box that I found in my distribution's software center and opened the terminal and executed

sudo apt install virtualbox-qt

Then I launched VirtualBox by executing

virtualbox

Then Vbox launched and I got a message in the terminal saying that I need to install the dkms package so I will be able to run VMs.
So after that I executed in the terminal

sudo apt install virtualbox-dkms

I don't really remember what was the name of the last command but I think that this should work !
Also when I installed the Vbox via the terminal it's still not the latest version it's 5.1

Thank you so much for helping me out !
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Actually you did the exact opposite from what I told you to do; I told you to get rid of your software center version and install the official VirtualBox. You instead re-installed the one from your distro. :roll:

You got it working and I'm glad for you, but remember what I said previously; if you have a problem with that version, you're going to have to go to the Mint/Ubuntu forums. If you come here with a problem, the first thing we're going to tell you is to uninstall the Mint version and install the official one. ;)

Marking as [Invalid].