Cannot add VMs that I see as vdi vbox files

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
j194

Cannot add VMs that I see as vdi vbox files

Post by j194 »

I found updating to 5.2.16 broke file sharing so I uninstalled it and installed 5.2.14 with its extensions. (virtualbox 5.2.14 with extensions installed; Debian testing.)

File sharing works now.

In moving backup files, some VMs were renamed but are consistent for each VM.

I now can see a list of VMs as *.vbox and * vdi files with my file manager, but Virtualbox's Machine Add can only see one VM. I rechecked the permissions and Owner,Gorup,Others are all now set for all R/W/E .

How can get Add to see them so I can add the VMs to what is displayed and can be started ?

I am new to using VMs so I apologize in advance if I have made this worse for myself and this has an obvious solution.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Cannot add VMs that I see as vdi vbox files

Post by socratis »

j194 wrote:In moving backup files, some VMs were renamed but are consistent for each VM.
Can you explain that part? The VMs are "added" by pointing them to their ".vbox" file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
j194

Post by j194 »

I appreciate the response. As I recall, I rechecked the names of the files for consistency, and Vbox still could not see them. So, ...

I gave up and went back to the earliest VM in the series and reinstalled software into the OS in the VM, rebuilding the VM that was not seen.

I have the vague feeling that if the files are renamed, they no longer match a list that vbox has somewhere...

Thanks again.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

j194 wrote: I have the vague feeling that if the files are renamed, they no longer match a list that vbox has somewhere...
That's like saying "if I cut my head off I have a feeling it might have a detrimental effect on my health". Well of course it will! :) You aren't supposed to be renaming VirtualBox files, especially when you don't understand what the files are for. E.g. a VDI is not a VM, it's just an image of one disk drive, and a PC consists of more than a disk drive.