Teamviewer/vnc - No ALtr (ISO_Level3_Shift) recognized

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
DavidBowmann

Teamviewer/vnc - No ALtr (ISO_Level3_Shift) recognized

Post by DavidBowmann »

Hi,
I have the following configuration (Desktop with Ubuntu Bionic 18.04 Desktop; Virtualbox 5.2.16 and multiple VMs (WIndows 10, Ubuntu 18.04, Lubuntu 18.04,SAP HANA on SUSE).
I also have the same VMs on a server (with Ubuntu Server 18.04 running Virtualbox 5.2.16 with the same VMs running there).
If I work directly on the computer everything works fine - in the local VMs as well remote Vms accessed by rdp (I use remmina).
Problem:
If I access the Desktop Computer with vnc or Teamviewer I can not get the AltGr key to work (ISO_Level3_Shift) in Virtualbox.
On the Desktop itself the keyboard works perfect, but not if I connect by rdp to vrdp service on my Vms on the server or
If I type any of these characters in the Vms on the Desktop.
I have a german keyboard.To write @ (AltGr+q), |(AltGr+<) or ~ (Alt+"+") I would need the AltGr key.

Is there somebody with the same problem. I hope someboy can understand the problem as I try to explain.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Teamviewer/vnc - No ALtr (ISO_Level3_Shift recognized)

Post by ChipMcK »

search Teamviewer AltGr yields numerous hits

Two are This is also posted in another forum by you, yes?
DavidBowmann

Re: Teamviewer/vnc - No ALtr (ISO_Level3_Shift) recognized

Post by DavidBowmann »

Thank you for the answer - Be sure I tried lot of guides and googled a lot. This is the last stop not the first.

Both for Windows. The keyboard works like charms to the Desktop also If I access by Teamviewer or vnc/VPN.
It is not generally a problem with the keyboard. Just If I access VirtualBox VMs or Virtualbox Vm by remmina (rdp) through vrdp.
For all other cases the keyboard mapping works as it should be.
And I the desktop computer remotely accessed is Linux as well as soem VMs.

Before I had everything runnign on Ubuntu 16.04 any everything worked as it should with Virtualbox.

I am not sure teamviewer is fault. If I access a Windows computer by Teamviewer the keyboard works as well.
But If I open there then a rdp session to a VM (Teamviewer>RDP to VM) there is the same problem. FOr the first hop
the keyboard is fulyl functional.
DavidBowmann

Re: Teamviewer/vnc - No ALtr (ISO_Level3_Shift) recognized

Post by DavidBowmann »

As I could not find out the reason why the AltGr does not work if I work by remote access, I changed the "Key to acces 3rd Level" to "Left Alt".
This works "fine".