VirtualBox manager not showing up

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
realvirtualboxuser

VirtualBox manager not showing up

Post by realvirtualboxuser »

Hello, I have been using VirtualBox under Ubntu Linux 18 for two weeks without problem. However, from yesterday, when I double clicked on the VirtualBox app icon, it seems to launch but the virtualbox manager does not show up on the screen. I see the app is launched as it appears on the task bar. Clicking that icon show a small image of virtual box manager but I cannot get it to show up in the middle of the screen for me to interact with it. Could you please let me what to do?
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: VirtualBox manager not showing up

Post by ChipMcK »

On the Right, the drop down of "Machine Tools" is the "Details" selection.

Some curiosity is helpful, yes?
realvirtualboxuser

Thanks for your reply but I cannot find "Machine Tools" on the right.

Perhaps I did not describe my problem clearly. Enclosed are photos for your reference.

After launching VirtualBox, clicking the icon on the dock on the left shows a small preview of the VirtualBox Manager. I cannot get it to show up in the middle of the screen so that I could start the virtual machine. Please refer to virtualbox1.jpg and virtualbox2.jpg (for closeup view)

Right-clicking the icon on the dock gives a few options but none of them allows me to make the VirtualBox Manager to show up in the middle of the screen so that I can click start to start the virtual machine. Please refer to virtualbox3.jpg

There was no such problem for my two-week use.

P.S. I cannot upgrade the photos due to very very small max allowed size of 128KB.
realvirtualboxuser

Hello, anybody knows what to do? Still have this issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It seems that somehow the VirtualBox Manager window coordinates are messed up. That information is stored in the "VirtualBox.xml" file. Mine for example looks like:
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPosition" value="382,45,1153,1091"/>
The easiest way to "reset" the value would be to delete it, by issuing the following command:
  • VBoxManage setextradata global "GUI/LastWindowPosition"
I'd issue the command without the VirtualBox Manager actually running, I don't know if they're applied on-the-fly.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.