Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
uppie

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by uppie »

While trying to install windows 8.1 64 bit iso , I get the following warning :

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall virtualbox-dkms package and load the kernel module by executing
'modprobe vboxdrv'
as root.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

I tried the 'modprobe vboxdrv', but no result, I tried re-installing virtualbox, no result. What do I have to do ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

Post by socratis »

uppie wrote:What do I have to do ?
State your host for a start. Then where you got your VirtualBox from. Then what version of VirtualBox you got. Those are somewhat important details to understand the problem. For example, DKMS isn't required by VirtualBox since 5.1.0...

My gut feeling? You got VirtualBox from your distro's repository, a.k.a. a fork of the official VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

You can even add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
uppie

Post by uppie »

Thanks, I will try your suggestion. ( I downloaded it from Linux, so its worth to try.)
grimmjow_sms

Post by grimmjow_sms »

Hi there
I am also having this issue with my Centos 7 machine. I have downloaded the rpm from the oracle page directly and also from the repo, but it is the same.
  • I tried to update the kernel to 4.14.. but I wanst able to load it.
    Installed older versions or virtualbox, but the same issue appears
    Once I got the missing key error, and I read in the oracle page that all rpms comes signed
Here are the details of my system:
kernel: 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64
VirtualBox: 5.2-5.2.14_123301_el7-1.x86_64.rpm

These are the error messages:

Code: Select all

E0713 09:45:51.395999   16261 start.go:174] Error starting host:  Error creating host: Error executing step: Running precreate checks.
: We support Virtualbox starting with version 5. Your VirtualBox install is "WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module\n         available for the current kernel (3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64) or it failed to\n         load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by\n\n           sudo /sbin/vboxconfig\n\n         You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.\n5.2.14r123301".

[root@localhost Descargas]# /sbin/vboxconfig
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox.  To re-start the set-up process, run  /sbin/vboxconfig
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.
Do that!
grimmjow_sms

Post by grimmjow_sms »

towo2099 wrote:
Do that!
Attaching the output of the dmesg command

regards
Attachments
dmesg_output.txt
output of dmesg command
(66.5 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
towo2099
Volunteer

Post by towo2099 »

1st modprobe vboxdrv
2nd dmesg | grep .i vbox
grimmjow_sms

Post by grimmjow_sms »

I also tried to look at the following:

Check for the failed status on systemctl

systemctl --failed
  UNIT                         LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● systemd-modules-load.service loaded failed failed Load Kernel Modules
● vboxdrv.service              loaded failed failed VirtualBox Linux kernel module

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

2 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.
Trying to restart to look for the processid

[root@localhost smartinez]# systemctl status systemd-modules-load
● systemd-modules-load.service - Load Kernel Modules
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-modules-load.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since sáb 2018-07-14 11:31:50 CDT; 2 days ago
Condition: start condition failed at lun 2018-07-16 12:46:46 CDT; 1min 11s ago
           none of the trigger conditions were met
     Docs: man:systemd-modules-load.service(8)
           man:modules-load.d(5)
 Main PID: 105 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Using journalctl to check the issues in depth

[root@localhost smartinez]# journalctl _PID=105
-- Logs begin at sáb 2018-07-14 11:31:50 CDT, end at lun 2018-07-16 12:48:15 CDT. --
jul 14 11:31:50 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[105]: Failed to insert 'vboxdrv': Required key not available
jul 14 11:31:50 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[105]: Failed to insert 'vboxnetflt': Required key not available
jul 14 11:31:50 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[105]: Failed to insert 'vboxnetadp': Required key not available
jul 14 11:31:50 localhost.localdomain systemd-modules-load[105]: Failed to insert 'vboxpci': Required key not available
Isnt all the rpm packages from oracle supposed to come signed?

regards
grimmjow_sms

Post by grimmjow_sms »

towo2099 wrote:1st modprobe vboxdrv
2nd dmesg | grep .i vbox
modprobe throws:
Error: could not insert 'vboxdrv': Required key not available
towo2099
Volunteer

Post by towo2099 »

It seems you use secure boot. With that enabled, you can't load any 3rd party kernel module, which is not signed.
grimmjow_sms

Post by grimmjow_sms »

towo2099 wrote:It seems you use secure boot. With that enabled, you can't load any 3rd party kernel module, which is not signed.
I tried to disable it, but right after the restart, it loads the old version of dell logo, and then the Dell SupportAssist starts checking my HD. Is there anything else I can do?
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

grimmjow_sms wrote:Is there anything else I can do?
You could use a search engine and take a look at Dell and/or CentOS related sites to find out the proper mechanism for disabling secure boot.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.