Failure to open or read filesystem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
lucifers
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Failure to open or read filesystem

Post by lucifers »

Okay, this one is pretty tricky...

A few days ago VirtualBox wouldn't load into my displaymanager (lightdm). During the boot-process the advancement just stopped typically after "[OK] sound card". So I did a lot of thinking. Why did this scenario suddenly appear after some 6-12 months of use? Hmm, the only heavy modification I did in recent time was upgrading the kernel. And during my attempts of recovery the terminal often displayed "Kernel error". So I assumed I better roll back my kernel-upgrade. This wasn't as easy as I remembered it to be, though. I went into safemode and did some trial and error. But nothing solved the issue.

Suddenly the system said that there was no boot-section. Hmmm, I then downloaded both boot-repair and the ubuntu-iso. But the boot-repair only showed 1 basic-option (it use to have 2: basic & advanced). I tried this option a few times, but it didn't do the trick. I tried to upgrade the boot-repair from terminal but it didn't make any difference.

I booted the ubuntu-iso. Here I tried GParted as I thought maybe I had to reinstall the GBT. But when I opened the GParted all the partition was blank as in "erased". Wou, I though. That was strange. I then deleted my vdi-image and copied my backup from an external drive and did the process from all over again. But this ended up exactly the same after a whole lot of time.

Hmmm, that was very strange, I thougt. Maybe it's Virtualbox that can't read the file anymore. So I removed VirtualBox by purge and then reinstalled it. But this didn' change the result. Then I tried purging VirtualBox again, manually deleted all .Vrtuabox-directories and then installed the version from Ubuntus software-manager. But this didn't make any difference in the result.

I find this to be a very strange issue. All I can think of as the source of the error is the upgrade of the kernel. I upgraded both the kernel in the vdi-image and my host-system. A kernel-error would suit the error presented in the terminal in the beginning. And I guess it would be the cause of the blank image, too, as it's not readable.

Now nothing happens when I try to boot my VDI-image as there's no bootable medium (GParted told me that the harddrive was empty...).

But I find it strange anyhow.

So I followed this guide:
https://www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-to ... wont-boot/

But either

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
or

Code: Select all

sudo blkid
showed any harddrives/partitions. This is very strange but supports my assumption of a kernel-error resulting in not being able to read the filesystem.

Does anybody have a clue on how to fix this mess or am I simply to spend a whole lot of time of setting up a new vdi-image from scratch again?

My system:
64 bit
Host: Ubuntu 18.04
Guest (=VDI): Ubuntu 18.04
Virtualbox: 5.2.10 (initially 5.2.14 from http://www.virtualbox.org)
Virtualbox extensionpack: 5.2.14 (and some new VNC ?)
Filesystem: ext4 (both host and guest)

Thanks in advance.

Best regards!