NS_ERROR_FAILURE when starting guests

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
muclux

NS_ERROR_FAILURE when starting guests

Post by muclux »

My host system is Ubuntu 18.04, the kernel version is 4.15.0-24-generic #26-Ubuntu SMP.
I had first installed the Virtualbox package from the Ubuntu Repository (VBox 5.10). After an Ubuntu update some days ago, all my guests systems (Windows10, Ubuntu, openSUSE) do not start anymore. I get:

Code: Select all

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine win10.
The VM session was closed before any attempt to power it on.
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {7844aa05-b02e-4cdd-a04f-ade4a762e6b7}
I tried reinstalling, then I removed the package from Ubuntu and installed the newest version from the VirtualBox site (Version 5.2.14 r123301). But the result is still the same. Where can I get more information or help on this error?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: NS_ERROR_FAILURE when starting guests

Post by socratis »

Right-click on the VM, "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
muclux

Post by muclux »

@socratis, the VM's log is from June 29th, although I tried to start a VM just a couple of minutes ago. Apparently the VM dies so fast/early that no VM specific log is written. Where can I find or activate a virtualbox global log?
Attachments
win10-2018-06-29-11-43-46.zip
zipped vbox.log, but nothing has been written for my last unsuccessful VM starts.
(35.07 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.10_Ubuntu r121806 linux.amd64 (Jun 15 2018 16:14:07) release log
That's the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox, not the official one...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.